• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help!!!

Tamwill

Young Bun
Hey everyone. I'm hoping you can offer me some good advice again...
My female/male pair rebonded successfully after their time apart after my surprise litter. I kept one of the litter so now have mum, dad and son. Everything was going well and they were completely bonded as a trio until yesterday. A huge fight broke out between all 3 of them - chunks of hair flying type of fight! Luckily no one was injured but I don't know what to do now... I'm guessing it's hormonal on Charlie's part (son) as George (dad) and Mildred (mum) are now neutered and spayed but Charlie seems to be constantly trying to mount his mum and has his head up both their bums on a regular basis! My vet says that he won't neuter Charlie till he's 6 months but that's another 2 months (plus recovery and hormone settling time) before I can rectify that! What do I do to calm things and get them to get on again?
Charlie is also spraying everywhere including on his mum 😱

Last edited:
Most Vets will neuter at 4 months so don't understand why yours wont. Make a new thread entitled Rabbit Savvy Vet needed in .....your area. ou will need to keep him separate now. Sorry. Having trouble with my cp.

The son is vying for dominance and also wants to mate with Mum so there is no way they can all live together. How old is he now?

As tonibun said, you need to separate him (and take him right away so they can't see or smell him) until after his neuter and his hormones have settled (1) because rabbits can inflict the most dreadful injuries when they fight, sometimes leading to fatality; (2) It is likely to ruin the bond between the other two due to referred aggression.

The son is vying for dominance and also wants to mate with Mum so there is no way they can all live together. How old is he now?

Is it a possibility that they could be re-bonded into a trio once his hormones have settled?

Hey everyone. I'm hoping you can offer me some good advice again...
My female/male pair rebonded successfully after their time apart after my surprise litter. I kept one of the litter so now have mum, dad and son. Everything was going well and they were completely bonded as a trio until yesterday. A huge fight broke out between all 3 of them - chunks of hair flying type of fight! Luckily no one was injured but I don't know what to do now... I'm guessing it's hormonal on Charlie's part (son) as George (dad) and Mildred (mum) are now neutered and spayed but Charlie seems to be constantly trying to mount his mum and has his head up both their bums on a regular basis! My vet says that he won't neuter Charlie till he's 6 months but that's another 2 months (plus recovery and hormone settling time) before I can rectify that! What do I do to calm things and get them to get on again?
Charlie is also spraying everywhere including on his mum 😱

I would take Charlie away until he's neutered, and then two months for hormones to settle ....
I am sure there's a good chance of rebonding after that time :)

Yeah he's 4 months tonibun. Got them separated now but can still see/smell each other - no other option as cages are too close together and nowhere else to move them to... How will still seeing/smelling each other affect them?

Vet said testicles/hormones are needed for much more than just mating and therefore waits till they're 6 months. Gonna ring and pester him now or find a different vet who will do it now.

Yeah he's 4 months tonibun. Got them separated now but can still see/smell each other - no other option as cages are too close together and nowhere else to move them to... How will still seeing/smelling each other affect them?

Vet said testicles/hormones are needed for much more than just mating and therefore waits till they're 6 months. Gonna ring and pester him now or find a different vet who will do it now.

Because even just seeing/smelling can cause referred aggression.

Could you fix a piece of plywood, or even a sheet of cardboard between the two cages?

Could you fix a piece of plywood, or even a sheet of cardboard between the two cages?

Hmm... Maybe... My set up is two cages side by side in a huge dog run. George and Mildred are currently in the dog run with access to one cage and Charlie is in a smaller pen inside the run with access to the other cage so everyone is safely away from each other but can see/smell each other

He's booked in for neutering on Thursday! Vet said under circumstances 16 weeks is old enough ��

That's good then - his testicles have obviously dropped.
I do worry, however, about them still being able to see/smell each other whilst his hormones have settled. Perhaps I'm over-cautious.

I do worry, however, about them still being able to see/smell each other whilst his hormones have settled. Perhaps I'm over-cautious.
I too feel cautious now you've said it... Anyone else got strong feelings one way or the other on this?

That's good then - his testicles have obviously dropped.

My preference (and I have had to do this recently) is to keep the single male completely away from any potential bondees. I kept him in a different room and never let any other rabbit enter.

When the time came for bonding, they all went together into a neutral space.

I personally wouldn't risk letting them smell one another, but you may have no option?

My preference (and I have had to do this recently) is to keep the single male completely away from any potential bondees. I kept him in a different room and never let any other rabbit enter.

When the time came for bonding, they all went together into a neutral space.

I personally wouldn't risk letting them smell one another, but you may have no option?

I was hoping you would respond as I know you're a VEB.

Sorry for hijacking your thread - please ask away on the Forum or by PM and I will be pleased to help :D

Last edited:
Back