Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help!!!

Default Help!!!

Hey everyone. I'm hoping you can offer me some good advice again...
    My female/male pair rebonded successfully after their time apart after my surprise litter. I kept one of the litter so now have mum, dad and son. Everything was going well and they were completely bonded as a trio until yesterday. A huge fight broke out between all 3 of them - chunks of hair flying type of fight! Luckily no one was injured but I don't know what to do now... I'm guessing it's hormonal on Charlie's part (son) as George (dad) and Mildred (mum) are now neutered and spayed but Charlie seems to be constantly trying to mount his mum and has his head up both their bums on a regular basis! My vet says that he won't neuter Charlie till he's 6 months but that's another 2 months (plus recovery and hormone settling time) before I can rectify that! What do I do to calm things and get them to get on again?
    Charlie is also spraying everywhere including on his mum 😱
    Last edited by Tamwill; 20-03-2017 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Adding infi

Wise Old Thumper

Most Vets will neuter at 4 months so don't understand why yours wont. Make a new thread entitled Rabbit Savvy Vet needed in .....your area. ou will need to keep him separate now. Sorry. Having trouble with my cp.

Wise Old Thumper

The son is vying for dominance and also wants to mate with Mum so there is no way they can all live together. How old is he now?

Wise Old Thumper

As tonibun said, you need to separate him (and take him right away so they can't see or smell him) until after his neuter and his hormones have settled (1) because rabbits can inflict the most dreadful injuries when they fight, sometimes leading to fatality; (2) It is likely to ruin the bond between the other two due to referred aggression.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    The son is vying for dominance and also wants to mate with Mum so there is no way they can all live together. How old is he now?
    I think he's 4 months now.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    Is it a possibility that they could be re-bonded into a trio once his hormones have settled?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamwill View Post
    Hey everyone. I'm hoping you can offer me some good advice again...
    My female/male pair rebonded successfully after their time apart after my surprise litter. I kept one of the litter so now have mum, dad and son. Everything was going well and they were completely bonded as a trio until yesterday. A huge fight broke out between all 3 of them - chunks of hair flying type of fight! Luckily no one was injured but I don't know what to do now... I'm guessing it's hormonal on Charlie's part (son) as George (dad) and Mildred (mum) are now neutered and spayed but Charlie seems to be constantly trying to mount his mum and has his head up both their bums on a regular basis! My vet says that he won't neuter Charlie till he's 6 months but that's another 2 months (plus recovery and hormone settling time) before I can rectify that! What do I do to calm things and get them to get on again?
    Charlie is also spraying everywhere including on his mum 😱

I would take Charlie away until he's neutered, and then two months for hormones to settle ....
    I am sure there's a good chance of rebonding after that time

Yeah he's 4 months tonibun. Got them separated now but can still see/smell each other - no other option as cages are too close together and nowhere else to move them to... How will still seeing/smelling each other affect them?

Vet said testicles/hormones are needed for much more than just mating and therefore waits till they're 6 months. Gonna ring and pester him now or find a different vet who will do it now.

Wise Old Thumper

Yeah he's 4 months tonibun. Got them separated now but can still see/smell each other - no other option as cages are too close together and nowhere else to move them to... How will still seeing/smelling each other affect them?

Vet said testicles/hormones are needed for much more than just mating and therefore waits till they're 6 months. Gonna ring and pester him now or find a different vet who will do it now.
    Because even just seeing/smelling can cause referred aggression.

Could you fix a piece of plywood, or even a sheet of cardboard between the two cages?