Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meat DNA in Burges Food!

Default Meat DNA in Burges Food!

I cant post the link but someone has posted a link from a report vetnurseuk of testing of Burgess Excellent rabbit food and found the following :

The recent decision by Supreme Petfoods to benchmark its competitors’ key food
    products has resulted in the discovery of apparent contraventions of current
    legislation.
    Supreme has always had ‘the wellbeing of small animals’ as its ethos and has
    continuously striven to produce the highest quality foods available, for the benefit
    of the animal and the trust of the consumer.
    A claim of quality is always difficult to substantiate without proof. Many new and
    established competitors have been making similar quality claims for their
    products, but Supreme felt some of these were open to question. It was for this
    reason that Supreme requested Campden BRI to conduct independent testing.
    The key highlights of those results are:
    • Contamination from meat sources found in competitors’ products.
    • Some fibre levels that were substantially below legal tolerance compared
    with declared levels.
    • Terms like ‘beneficial fibre’ in the statutory statement, which appear to be
    unapproved descriptions.

• Levels of sugar, given the recent campaign for rabbit obesity, which could
    be of potential concern to veterinarians and owners.
    • Use of a probiotic authorised only for use within feeds for fattening, but
    found in pet rabbit diets.
    • Claim for ‘complete food’ when only 8% fibre is declared on pack.
    • Potential risk to human health as competitors’ rabbit food is sold VAT free
    for use as an animal feedstuff while containing meat DNA.
    The analysis of 24 rabbit food samples manufactured and marketed by Burgess,
    Wagg and Beaphar demonstrated a contamination level so prevalent that traces
    of DNA from cattle, pig, chicken or turkey were found in 11 of the samples. These
    random samples were taken from retailer’s shelves across the country.

Any thoughts on this ??This isn't the full report but I have just yesterday ordered Burgess Excel Dual Care as a Critical care substitute, should I return it ??
    Mum Oliver.

Still spirit mum to my white cloud Lance who died in my arms on 31/7/13. I will never forget u my gentle sensitive soul x x x Rosie my beautiful baby girl. So sorry we could not save u my princess . Said goodbye on 6/7/15. Love u forever. Poor brave brave Code, u made us so proud my gentle boy. Hope all of you is working now my snuffler. August 2016.

I can quite imagine that traces of meat DNA could be found in any products that are made in the same factory as one that produces meat products. Presumably the amounts are tiny though. I'm a bit suspicious of Supreme's motives here.

I think most small animal pet foods are pretty bad.
    Sarah.

RIP Dusty and Clover xxx
    Ruby and Amber guinea pigs
    Harry hamster

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by SarahP View Post
    I can quite imagine that traces of meat DNA could be found in any products that are made in the same factory as one that produces meat products. Presumably the amounts are tiny though. I'm a bit suspicious of Supreme's motives here.

I think most small animal pet foods are pretty bad.
    Agree on all points xx

Imitated but never replicated :-)

Quote Originally Posted by nickybunny1 View Post
    I cant post the link but someone has posted a link from a report vetnurseuk of testing of Burgess Excellent rabbit food and found the following :

The recent decision by Supreme Petfoods to benchmark its competitors’ key food
    products has resulted in the discovery of apparent contraventions of current
    legislation.
    Supreme has always had ‘the wellbeing of small animals’ as its ethos and has
    continuously striven to produce the highest quality foods available, for the benefit
    of the animal and the trust of the consumer.
    A claim of quality is always difficult to substantiate without proof. Many new and
    established competitors have been making similar quality claims for their
    products, but Supreme felt some of these were open to question. It was for this
    reason that Supreme requested Campden BRI to conduct independent testing.
    The key highlights of those results are:
    • Contamination from meat sources found in competitors’ products.
    • Some fibre levels that were substantially below legal tolerance compared
    with declared levels.
    • Terms like ‘beneficial fibre’ in the statutory statement, which appear to be
    unapproved descriptions.

• Levels of sugar, given the recent campaign for rabbit obesity, which could
    be of potential concern to veterinarians and owners.
    • Use of a probiotic authorised only for use within feeds for fattening, but
    found in pet rabbit diets.
    • Claim for ‘complete food’ when only 8% fibre is declared on pack.
    • Potential risk to human health as competitors’ rabbit food is sold VAT free
    for use as an animal feedstuff while containing meat DNA.
    The analysis of 24 rabbit food samples manufactured and marketed by Burgess,
    Wagg and Beaphar demonstrated a contamination level so prevalent that traces
    of DNA from cattle, pig, chicken or turkey were found in 11 of the samples. These
    random samples were taken from retailer’s shelves across the country.

Any thoughts on this ??This isn't the full report but I have just yesterday ordered Burgess Excel Dual Care as a Critical care substitute, should I return it ??

I have found dog biscuits more than once in Burgess food

Mama Doe

I heard this a while ago and stopped buying Burgess Excel. I put my buns on Harringtons which unfortunately turns out to be Waggs. I find the Harringtons is better on my buns tums but am now suspicious of it too. The factories turn out dog biscuits, don't they? So that's a problem, using the same machines. Where do we go from here then?

So it wouldn't worry u using Excel then ?? I don't, I use Oxbow but it's just the Dual Care I have ordered. U think it will be ok to use ??
    Mum Oliver.

Still spirit mum to my white cloud Lance who died in my arms on 31/7/13. I will never forget u my gentle sensitive soul x x x Rosie my beautiful baby girl. So sorry we could not save u my princess . Said goodbye on 6/7/15. Love u forever. Poor brave brave Code, u made us so proud my gentle boy. Hope all of you is working now my snuffler. August 2016.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffybunny54 View Post
    I heard this a while ago and stopped buying Burgess Excel. I put my buns on Harringtons which unfortunately turns out to be Waggs. I find the Harringtons is better on my buns tums but am now suspicious of it too. The factories turn out dog biscuits, don't they? So that's a problem, using the same machines. Where do we go from here then?
    Pellet Free Diet. Not suitable for all Rabbits, but certainly what I prefer if at all possible x

Imitated but never replicated :-)

I used excel for years with my other buns.
    Mum Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Pellet Free Diet. Not suitable for all Rabbits, but certainly what I prefer if at all possible x
    100% agree. I do use pellets (Burgess, in fact) but I'm not surprised by the above (I, too, am suspicious of Supreme's motives and would like to see some independent information on THEIR and everyone else's products...!). I use pellets for convenience. It's no different from processed human foods: convenience!
    The geeky one...

I often read-and-run, otherwise I spam, but I promise to send you silent vibes whenever you need them!

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Warren Scout

I haven't read all the thread cause im pushed for time but I had information at work regarding this saying that burgess is produced in a factory that also produces cat and dog food whereas science selective is produced in a vegetarian factory