• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Large absess on my rabbit's anus area. (Killing her babies also)

thomas1

New Kit
Recently, our flemish giant rabbit gave birth to around 6-7 babies (1 week ago) they seemed to be doing fine however we started to realise her tail began to be constantly wet and soggy with a sort of moisture coming from her anus area, We thought maybe she has the runs or something along those lines. However, 1-3 days after birth, we began to find babies dead scattered across her hutch, basically 1 a day. We thought perhaps she has 'turned' against them for some reason, possibly because of her age (around 8 month we believe).

This morning, we acknowledged a LARGE cyst/ absess coming out of that area and seems to be causing pain and panic for her, could this be her reason to be killing the babies?

Please help. We have 3 babies left and don't know how to keep them, should we seperate her and them?

Recently, our flemish giant rabbit gave birth to around 6-7 babies (1 week ago) they seemed to be doing fine however we started to realise her tail began to be constantly wet and soggy with a sort of moisture coming from her anus area, We thought maybe she has the runs or something along those lines. However, 1-3 days after birth, we began to find babies dead scattered across her hutch, basically 1 a day. We thought perhaps she has 'turned' against them for some reason, possibly because of her age (around 8 month we believe).

This morning, we acknowledged a LARGE cyst/ absess coming out of that area and seems to be causing pain and panic for her, could this be her reason to be killing the babies?

Please help. We have 3 babies left and don't know how to keep them, should we seperate her and them?

Don't waste time asking people on a Forum - you need to see a vet urgently.
Your rabbit is highly likely to be suffering.

Do you think this is her reason for killing the babies?

I doubt she is killing the kits. They are probably perishing due to starvation/dehydration/hypothermia.

Your Doe may have a prolapsed rectum (if the 'abscess' is by her anus). However it could be a vaginal prolapse that occurred when she kindled. Whatever the problem she needs urgent (ie today) Veterinary attention.

I assume you have removed the Buck ?

You said she was in a 'hutch' ? If she's a giant she should be in a much bigger area so that she can still move from her babies when needed. A college near me had bred rabbits and they were kept in 4 ft hutches, the mother bun attacked and lunged at her babies once they were able to move around due to lack of space between them all. But then it could well be them starving like Jane has mentioned.

I agree with everyone else, of course, get your bunny into the vet (emergency if needed).

Did you manage to obtain Veterinary care for your Doe ?

I hope that the three remaining Kits are still surviving x

We did, We were given some medication for her which she took no problem. This morning we let her out to run around and stretch her legs, by dinnertime, she was stiff as a bone.
Apparently their was a minimal chance of the issue to be removed and little chance of survival.

I think she knew what was coming, suggesting her reasons for killing her kits.

RIP Vinny.

p.s. Good news, our older, black doe has given birth to 6 kits, looking healthy!

I'm sorry to hear about your other bunny, poor thing

I'm guessing Your a breeder if your happy about more babies being born? I'm sorry but in my eyes that's not good news, there are hundreds of rabbits in rescues from rabbits being over breed and people not looking after them properly. Also if you have lots of bunnies, are they housed in appropriate housing meeting the rwaf guidelines of 6ft x 6ft x 2ft hutch with 24/7 access to a run?

We did, We were given some medication for her which she took no problem. This morning we let her out to run around and stretch her legs, by dinnertime, she was stiff as a bone.
Apparently their was a minimal chance of the issue to be removed and little chance of survival.

RIP Vinny.

p.s. Good news, our older, black doe has given birth to 6 kits, looking healthy!

How very sad for Vinny and her kits :(

RIP Vinny.

So all the Kits perished in the end too ?

How very sad that Vinny suffered so much :cry:

I hope that your remaining Rabbits will be OK.

How awful that she's gone, and her kits. Sorry for their loss. I would be concerned by the vets letting her come home personally if they said there was minimal chance of survival, I would've thought most vets would keep her in to increase her chances as it sounds like more than medication at home may have been needed. Unless of course the vet was confident she would be comfortable at home, and sadly she just didn't make it. I would just be aware of how rabbit savvy the vets are incase you need them in the future.

Since you had a second bunny who also had kits, you may have been able to foster the first litter to the second doe as long as the babies are approximately the same size.
Also, the babies may have died if you did not give the mother a nest box where mother would make her nest and babies would be protected from the elements and snuggled together. A nest box also makes it harder for a mom to accidentally stomp on her babies.

Back