Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Large absess on my rabbit's anus area. (Killing her babies also)

Default Large absess on my rabbit's anus area. (Killing her babies also)

Recently, our flemish giant rabbit gave birth to around 6-7 babies (1 week ago) they seemed to be doing fine however we started to realise her tail began to be constantly wet and soggy with a sort of moisture coming from her anus area, We thought maybe she has the runs or something along those lines. However, 1-3 days after birth, we began to find babies dead scattered across her hutch, basically 1 a day. We thought perhaps she has 'turned' against them for some reason, possibly because of her age (around 8 month we believe).

This morning, we acknowledged a LARGE cyst/ absess coming out of that area and seems to be causing pain and panic for her, could this be her reason to be killing the babies?

Please help. We have 3 babies left and don't know how to keep them, should we seperate her and them?

Mama Doe

She needs to see a vet - urgently.

Do you think this is her reason for killing the babies?

Quote Originally Posted by thomas1 View Post
    Recently, our flemish giant rabbit gave birth to around 6-7 babies (1 week ago) they seemed to be doing fine however we started to realise her tail began to be constantly wet and soggy with a sort of moisture coming from her anus area, We thought maybe she has the runs or something along those lines. However, 1-3 days after birth, we began to find babies dead scattered across her hutch, basically 1 a day. We thought perhaps she has 'turned' against them for some reason, possibly because of her age (around 8 month we believe).

This morning, we acknowledged a LARGE cyst/ absess coming out of that area and seems to be causing pain and panic for her, could this be her reason to be killing the babies?

Please help. We have 3 babies left and don't know how to keep them, should we seperate her and them?

Don't waste time asking people on a Forum - you need to see a vet urgently.
    Your rabbit is highly likely to be suffering.

Mama Doe

Agree,emergency vet visit!

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by thomas1 View Post
    Do you think this is her reason for killing the babies?
    I doubt she is killing the kits. They are probably perishing due to starvation/dehydration/hypothermia.

Your Doe may have a prolapsed rectum (if the 'abscess' is by her anus). However it could be a vaginal prolapse that occurred when she kindled. Whatever the problem she needs urgent (ie today) Veterinary attention.

I assume you have removed the Buck ?

You said she was in a 'hutch' ? If she's a giant she should be in a much bigger area so that she can still move from her babies when needed. A college near me had bred rabbits and they were kept in 4 ft hutches, the mother bun attacked and lunged at her babies once they were able to move around due to lack of space between them all. But then it could well be them starving like Jane has mentioned.

I agree with everyone else, of course, get your bunny into the vet (emergency if needed).

❤ ❤ ~ Binky free Smudge, gone but never forgotten ~❤ ❤

Wise Old Thumper

Did you manage to obtain Veterinary care for your Doe ?

I hope that the three remaining Kits are still surviving x

Hi Thomas

How is your rabbit doing now?

Yes, how are they? x