• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moody bunny!

Hills

Young Bun
My bun Louis is about a year and a half now, he's always been a very timid little bunny but I think he's going through his "stroppy teenage stage" won't let me touch him, runs away from me (unless I have food of course!)

Would love some reassurance that this is normal! Haha!

Thanks [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is typical of most rabbits, is this new behaviour for him? Is he neutered?

Yeah new behaviour, we're still building on our trust but he is definitely acting differently. And yes he is neutered, been neutered for a year now x

If it's new behaviour I would be concerned about the cause. Has there been any changes to his environment, any building work, visitors to the house, any change in your approach to him, any vet visits recently, or claw clipping incidents that might have rocked his trust in you?

I have had nervy, and half wild bunnies before but their behaviour was always consistent, and the trust in me grew over time.

Saying that he has recently been to the vets and I clipped his nails yesterday.. feeling dumb!

Could this be why? I haven't exactly spent an awful lot of time with him after this either so maybe I need to just lay on the floor for an hour when he's awake later ?

Is it normal to take a couple steps back on occasions like this?

Saying that he has recently been to the vets and I clipped his nails yesterday.. feeling dumb!

Could this be why? I haven't exactly spent an awful lot of time with him after this either so maybe I need to just lay on the floor for an hour when he's awake later ?

Is it normal to take a couple steps back on occasions like this?

It depends on the rabbit, with my outdoor rabbits would not want to come anywhere near me for a while after vets visits, yet my indoor rabbit Boots was so laid back that vets and claw clipping didn't bother him in the slightest.

I would concentrate on letting him know he can trust you, sitting on the floor with him whilst you read, and hand feeding food should help :thumb:

Hey Hills, welcome to RU! :wave: Have you heard of 'fenugreek crunchies'? They are basically magic medicine for untrusting bunnies, and will help to build your bond no end! Rather than go to him to pick him up, sit on the floor and quietly call him to you and hold one out to him. When he comes reward him. It might take him a couple of times to realise he likes them (my old pair weren't at all sure about fenugreek crunchies at first!) but when he does get used to them he will be mugging you for them.

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/fenugreek-crunchies.html

Have you considered adopting a friend for him? Rabbits would naturally live in groups so they can get depressed (and therefore grumpy and unsociable!) when they're all alone. If I were you I'd look into getting a spayed doe to keep him company. :love:

Hey Hills, welcome to RU! :wave: Have you heard of 'fenugreek crunchies'? They are basically magic medicine for untrusting bunnies, and will help to build your bond no end! Rather than go to him to pick him up, sit on the floor and quietly call him to you and hold one out to him. When he comes reward him. It might take him a couple of times to realise he likes them (my old pair weren't at all sure about fenugreek crunchies at first!) but when he does get used to them he will be mugging you for them.

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/fenugreek-crunchies.html

Have you considered adopting a friend for him? Rabbits would naturally live in groups so they can get depressed (and therefore grumpy and unsociable!) when they're all alone. If I were you I'd look into getting a spayed doe to keep him company. :love:

Hello, thank you for your advice, I'm actually doing the treat thing and it's working really well! So fingers crossed. I'm actually using he new science select treats but I have tried the Fenugreek before and I have to say they didn't last too long haha!

I actually have a spayed doe and tried bonding them, but she wasn't too happy on the idea (Netherland dwarfs for you haha!) and as I still live at home I don't think my parents would be too happy (as I also have a happily bonded pair making it 4 all together) I am in the process of saving up to move out so my plan is to try and rebond the planned two as the area would be completely neutral, if it fails again I will get them both a rescue friend.. who would have thought bunnies would be such hard work haha!

Back