Thread: sexing a rabbit.....

Alpha Buck

Default sexing a rabbit.....

how easy is it to do on a really young rabbit ? I can do it on a 15 weeks old bunny no problems (I already have a male and female) and they were 9 weeks when we got them.

If you thinking of 4.5 week old ones I believe fairly difficult.

Tam

Alpha Buck

i am gonna take hubby there tomorrow.... if he agrees. (Finger crossed) If we got two together they should be ok together shouldn't they. I would prefer a male and female, but if 2 of wither sex, becuase they are from the same litter/grew up together they should be ok..... shouldn't they

If they are the same sex: males will need neutering at 14-16 weeks or they will start fighting and once that has happened once even after neutering its difficult/somtimes impossible to get them back together. Females I think sometimes get on but there is still a risk of fighting as they grow up.

If they are oposite sex: then you'll have several weeks of it being safe to house them together and then they'll need seperating temporarily whilst the lad is neutered to prevent babies. I'm not sure what age the need seperating to prevent this I expect someone else will though.

Tamsin

Quote Originally Posted by Tamsin

If they are oposite sex: then you'll have several weeks of it being safe to house them together and then they'll need seperating temporarily whilst the lad is neutered to prevent babies. I'm not sure what age the need seperating to prevent this I expect someone else will though.

Tamsin
    Hi! we were told male and females need to be separated at 12 weeks old (3 months) but be warned, our Buck still managed to get the Doe pregnant and we knew his age exactly!!.
    I would suggest 10 weeks onwards (or as soon as the testicles descend in the Buck)to be safe, but it depends on breed and how quickly each individual bunny matures.

dudley-west midlands, term time-chester uni

hi,
    sexing is fairly simple but on some rabbits u can be defo it a male and turn out to be female and vice versa, but touch wood iv never got it wrong but if u know what ur looking for it can be simlpe but then breedes can get it wrong as some bucks will get a split and look like a doe
    becky

Quote Originally Posted by Adele
    I would suggest 10 weeks onwards (or as soon as the testicles descend in the Buck) to be safe, but it depends on breed and how quickly each individual bunny matures.
    That's very true, and especially so for Dutch, the fastest maturing breed there is! They are fully grown at 4 months, and ready for breeding at 5 months. It is not unknown for Dutch does to start having false pregnancies at 12-14 weeks, particularly if they are kept with other females and have been indulging in mounting behaviour.

Mrs Floyd's first litter were still together at 10 weeks but then I noticed one of the bucks trying to mount the girls, so in future I will be separating the sexes at about 8 weeks, and would suggest this for all Dutch and Dutch-cross varieties, or where the breed is unknown, to be on the safe side.

Others, especially the large breeds, will probably still be okay until 10-12 weeks.

[quote=Pendragon][quote=

Mrs Floyd's first litter were still together at 10 weeks but then I noticed one of the bucks trying to mount the girls, so in future I will be separating the sexes at about 8 weeks, and would suggest this for all Dutch and Dutch-cross varieties, or where the breed is unknown, to be on the safe side.

Others, especially the large breeds, will probably still be okay until 10-12 weeks.[/quote]

Thank you so much for clarifying that information Sue, and you have hit the nail on the head about the smaller breeds maturing quicker than bigger breeds...the buck who got the Doe pregnant was a little Netherland Dwarf and must have been only 9- 10 weeks old when he was sexually mature.