• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

sexing a rabbit.....

without_halo

Alpha Buck
how easy is it to do on a really young rabbit ? I can do it on a 15 weeks old bunny no problems (I already have a male and female) and they were 9 weeks when we got them.

i am gonna take hubby there tomorrow.... if he agrees. (Finger crossed) If we got two together they should be ok together shouldn't they. I would prefer a male and female, but if 2 of wither sex, becuase they are from the same litter/grew up together they should be ok..... shouldn't they

If they are the same sex: males will need neutering at 14-16 weeks or they will start fighting and once that has happened once even after neutering its difficult/somtimes impossible to get them back together. Females I think sometimes get on but there is still a risk of fighting as they grow up.

If they are oposite sex: then you'll have several weeks of it being safe to house them together and then they'll need seperating temporarily whilst the lad is neutered to prevent babies. I'm not sure what age the need seperating to prevent this I expect someone else will though.

Tamsin

Tamsin said:
If they are oposite sex: then you'll have several weeks of it being safe to house them together and then they'll need seperating temporarily whilst the lad is neutered to prevent babies. I'm not sure what age the need seperating to prevent this I expect someone else will though.

Tamsin

Hi! we were told male and females need to be separated at 12 weeks old (3 months) but be warned, our Buck still managed to get the Doe pregnant and we knew his age exactly!!.
I would suggest 10 weeks onwards (or as soon as the testicles descend in the Buck)to be safe, but it depends on breed and how quickly each individual bunny matures.

hi,
sexing is fairly simple but on some rabbits u can be defo it a male and turn out to be female and vice versa, but touch wood iv never got it wrong but if u know what ur looking for it can be simlpe but then breedes can get it wrong as some bucks will get a split and look like a doe
becky

Adele said:
I would suggest 10 weeks onwards (or as soon as the testicles descend in the Buck) to be safe, but it depends on breed and how quickly each individual bunny matures.

That's very true, and especially so for Dutch, the fastest maturing breed there is! They are fully grown at 4 months, and ready for breeding at 5 months. It is not unknown for Dutch does to start having false pregnancies at 12-14 weeks, particularly if they are kept with other females and have been indulging in mounting behaviour.

Mrs Floyd's first litter were still together at 10 weeks but then I noticed one of the bucks trying to mount the girls, so in future I will be separating the sexes at about 8 weeks, and would suggest this for all Dutch and Dutch-cross varieties, or where the breed is unknown, to be on the safe side.

Others, especially the large breeds, will probably still be okay until 10-12 weeks.

Pendragon said:
Mrs Floyd's first litter were still together at 10 weeks but then I noticed one of the bucks trying to mount the girls said:
Thank you so much for clarifying that information Sue, and you have hit the nail on the head about the smaller breeds maturing quicker than bigger breeds...the buck who got the Doe pregnant was a little Netherland Dwarf and must have been only 9- 10 weeks old when he was sexually mature. :D

Back