• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aaagggghhhh a massive fight!!

CometLucy195

Alpha Buck
My 4, bonded a month or so ago, have been living together really well. Today, 2of the girls, Lucy and Jet, broke into a massive fight. I've spent all day in the shed with them, trying to settle them down, but every time they went near each other, they'd attack. I couldn't work out who was the attacker, it seemed to be both of them. The other 2, Lavender and Piper (boy and girl), kept out of it. Lucy has a cut ear, it looks clean and I gave her some painkiller. I've had to cordone off a bit of the shed and separate Lucy out. Lucy was the isolate from the start (you may remember my stressed posts at the time), but recently all had been great. I haven't changed anything, my 5th new rabbit Dave is not anywhere near, so I can't work out what happened? Should I take the barrier down tomorrow? Try again?
My plan was to put Dave in as well once he was neutered but now I'm thinking maybe I should just just have a 2 and a 3?
I'm gutted, it was going so well!

So sorry this has happened, I can't suggest anything but I'm interested in what advice others can offer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 4, bonded a month or so ago, have been living together really well. Today, 2of the girls, Lucy and Jet, broke into a massive fight. I've spent all day in the shed with them, trying to settle them down, but every time they went near each other, they'd attack. I couldn't work out who was the attacker, it seemed to be both of them. The other 2, Lavender and Piper (boy and girl), kept out of it. Lucy has a cut ear, it looks clean and I gave her some painkiller. I've had to cordone off a bit of the shed and separate Lucy out. Lucy was the isolate from the start (you may remember my stressed posts at the time), but recently all had been great. I haven't changed anything, my 5th new rabbit Dave is not anywhere near, so I can't work out what happened? Should I take the barrier down tomorrow? Try again?
My plan was to put Dave in as well once he was neutered but now I'm thinking maybe I should just just have a 2 and a 3?

Oh no! Just when I thought your lot were doing so well :)

I guess I would try again, but *only* on neutral territory. Somewhere new to everyone .......
Oh dear - good luck to you xx

Referred aggression could still be the cause. Some rabbits are very sensitive and the smell of him on your clothes could have been enough to trigger a fight. I remember an ru member who had some rabbits staying with her whilst their owners were away on holiday, they were nowhere near her pair but it still caused a fall out. Once she changed the routine for the visitors to be fed etc last, things calmed down.

Are the group all well health wise? Illness in one can cause a fall out too.

I hope they settle down:thumb:

Hi, thanks for your replies.
Lavender has been ill, she stopped eating and I took her to the vet, gut drugs and syringe feeding for a few days, she seems fine now, but it wasn't her who was fighting. That was a week ago. Both Jet and Lucy had been snuggling up to Lavender when she was poorly.
What do I do now? They're separated by a barrier at the moment (Lucy by herself) within their shed space. I'm just about to go out now, shall I take the barrier down and feed them together to see what happens? I really want them back together if possible otherwise they'll have smaller spaces each. There's only one access to the run through the cat flap. But I'm worried they'll fight again.

Oh dear.
Put them all together and Jet went straight for Lucy, massive scrap, I separated them.
This is a real shame. Just about to go on holiday for 2 weeks (on 1st April) so I don't have time to rebond them somewhere else as I'd have to neutralise a space in a very packed garage.
I'm so cross with them! I'm going to have to divide the space permanently, or at least while I am away so the pet sitter can manage, bad timing!
Serves me right for being so pleased with myself for a successful bond of 3 girls and a boy. ��

Back