• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Interview: Val, Rescue Worker & BRC Breeder

Yes its a bit strang me doing both but i thought i could do both i cut my breeding to a min so i dont end up with unwanted bunnies and ive got the time space and the love of animals to want to do the rescues. Ido not add to the problem and i tye to edgucate the people i meet witch is a lot about the resposabilities of taking on a rabbit.

WABBIT
i think you may of missed val does work with animal samaritans which is a very large animal rescue!
not rspca but they hope one day they have plans!
she works hard with her rescue buns as much as her show buns!
all are treated the same cept maybe for her odd few real specail ones :wink:

Hi there.

So your bun has grass stained feet :!: How do you clean them. I think some use toothpaste :) Which seems harmless and a good way to clean them. What do you do?

Thanks

bronie

i dont think anyone needs to be removed yet people want to know about breeders and only fair they get to ask questions right?

what happens to the rabbits that are to old to breed any more?

Do you keep them or do they move into the rescue side of your set up.

they best way to keep feet clean is spray buns feet daily with water and they will keep them clean them selfs and i think 90% breeders will use this method :D

I will only breed a doe uptill 2 and a half and then when there is a lull in the rescues its rehomed as a pet some have gone to friends and family. The rescues take prioraty when it comes to rehoming mine are not in a bad home and in urgent need of a home i can wait. Washing feet with washing up liquid or a dry shampoo

In a show, are owners of wild buns (that have been rescued) allowed to show over there?

Here in New Zealand, some will allow me to show my Bugzee in the pet section of a club show and others will not. Council shows will not allow me at all or even take her near a show :cry: Why :?:

Why are wild buns frowned upon?

Thanks

bronie

Hi Guys, just popping in any being nosey really :lol:

I am a bunny owner and have just fostered my first one (looking to rehome him - Rolo, advertising plug HE HE).

I do not know that much about the breeding side of rabbit ownership but would like to comment on how refreshing it is to hear that Val has combined breeding with rescue.

Is this common, do breeders usually rescue as well?

Jules

Do you groom your bunnies regularly, if so, what type of brushes/ combs do you use...have you any good tips for keeping bunnies coats clean and glossy?

bronie
i dont think anyone has ever shown a wild rabbits over here someone correct me if i am wrong?
we have let all ours back in to the wild and if not poss they went to wildlife centre.
i shouldnt think what the rabbit was would matter maybe if its been tame for a long while and had all its jabs then i doubt it would be a prob

Is there any rule about showing neutered does.

I know that neutered bucks are only allowed in the pet section but is there any rule about the does, as no-one would know if they had been done.

I have no experience with wild rabbits as far as i know you could enter your rabbit as a pet in this country not as a show rabbit as it has to be rung

i dont think it would matter if your buck or doe was done i am sure you can show a buck which has been done in main show fellow breeders watching let me know?
i have so opps if i shouldnt of oh well :lol:

I only know of 2 my friend and a very well known giant breeder who rescues and rehomes giants, i wouldent have thought many people have the time or space to do it . Grooming i dont have to much my rabbits are not long coated every other weekend when i shwo they are groomed i use a small toothed comb

cough :oops: wild buns here are a huge pest :!: We couldn`t release Bugzee as she was to young, thanks to mums cat thinking she was a snak!! I`m allowed to keep her, just not allowed to release her. Not that I ever would think of doing so :!: I love both my house buns:)

We have had her a year next month (party party party :) )

bronie

only a rung rabbit could be put in main show or if it was a new breed unstanderdised (spelt wrong :) ) then it doesnt need to be rung all others are pet show only

Im not sure about a spayed doe i would not expect anyone to know. Does are not normaly shown because you would not take them out again once you had breed from her

Back