• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Interview: Val, Rescue Worker & BRC Breeder

Sorry, different subject ... what are your views on petshops and selling animals? Should selling animals be stopped, more regulations added or something else?

Tam

Have you ever had a House Rabbit? If not, how do you feel about people keeping bunnies in their homes and letting them watch television :lol: ??(or sleeping on the bed like one of our rabbits!)

Your welcome to inlcude your views too Sharon, as you say breeders aren't all the same so its good to hear from different ones :)

I have to say that I find it really sad that rabbits are kept in small pens/cages and not allowed access to grass or sunshine, for fear that they may become dirty or their coats are bleached by the sun.

Rabbits are far happier doing 'rabbity' things, and would prefer a hop around the garden/house to spending a day sitting in a wire cage at a show :(

thanks tam no i am just a wee bit bored will stay for moral support lol but wont steal her limelight wanna see her fingers hurt 2moro lol.
i may add now and then as vals is my 2nd home lol

Wabbit said:
I have to say that I find it really sad that rabbits are kept in small pens/cages and not allowed access to grass or sunshine, for fear that they may become dirty or their coats are bleached by the sun.

Rabbits are far happier doing 'rabbity' things, and would prefer a hop around the garden/house to spending a day sitting in a wire cage at a show :(

this would depend on the person breeder in genral vals are as much pets as the next persons and do come out!
i want to breed a champ like all the rest in show world but my rabbits are rabbits as they should be i dont feel a rabbit should be living in many of the situations they are kept in now days!
and all my buns do enjoy or appear to have asked them they didnt reply :shock: we went to a show only a week ago and all the buns i took lapped up the fuss but mine are kept like that we always have people in and out so they are used to mega fuss as is vals.
badley handled nervous scared buns would not enjoy being on display to public for long periods of time this is why most fanciers need to spend such a large amount of time with there buns

Wabbit said:

Please be careful making assumptions like that. Many pet rabbit owners don't give their rabbits access to grass (house rabbits for example). It has already been pointed out they spend time outside and I'm sure small cages are not universal.

Tam

I dont like pet shops at all they do not knoe enough about the animals they are selling and the condoting are not good i would not use them . I think people should go to breeders for their animals i know they are not all good but i pride myself on the good temprement of my rabbits they are well raised and make loving pets . The people who breed to sell to them to not care that they are heathy and used to being handled. There should be a lot more rules for pet shops and training for the staff. None of my rabbits have ever come back only to visit the rabbits that come to rescue are almost alwasys from pet shops and are not friendly and they put off the children that are their owners. Then there are the people that have just got another toy that the kids have got tired of

I did have a rabbit as a house rabbit once but she took a liking to wallpaper and then to the plaster underneath i wouldnt have had a house left. The right rabbit though ad its a different matter they are good companion. Some of the rescues do end up as house rabbits

taylor v 109 said:
I did have a rabbit as a house rabbit once but she took a liking to wallpaper
:lol:
Yes Val we have a wall paper stripper too in our cottage! :lol:

also to add to my last post which val may not mention tonight myself val my son and a fellow breeder who isnt on pc do rabbit displays we call them at schools fetes and other such events.
we take along a large amount of rabbits both show and brave rescues which we talk about give out imfo about and sometimes find homes through these events to promote rabbits not as pull around toys but as living things this is sticking buns in cages for the good of others it works well rabbits get spoilt and helps a few all over the place!
these events do help many rabbits as we give out our numbers and such ask them to bring there buns along to see us after shows and we can check if these animals are getting a fair deal out of life!
the sad thing is the worst buns i see come from pet owners not breeders!
after all you cannot show a rabbit who has 3 inch nails over grown teeth and mites or a snotty nose the rabbit has to be fit in tip top health and clean and cared for where as many pet owners need do nothing so hence poor bun suffers!

I did once have a house rabbit but she took a liking to the plaster on the walls and i couldent get here out of it. My rabbits do come out daily in the sunshine just not allowed to get grass stained There cages are sometimes bigger than the average house rabbit has

we always have a rabbit indoors not living full time but in to play!
but i find myself i like the out where they should be living in the freash air!
i have nothing against house buns we had blossom indoors till she died and she was the bunny from hell :?

ellepotter said:
Is inter breeding normal in Rabbits being breed for show?

Louise

i think this would depend on the breeder you need to know a lot about it as done wrong could do more harm than good!

Back