• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Interview: Val, Rescue Worker & BRC Breeder

hi val,
i have a few question for u
where abouts do u lives and how much space have u got for ur rabbis?

what is the set up for ur hutches and do u have mechanical heating/cooloing systems?

what u ur bunnies on feed?

what clubs r u in?

Do u judge?

do u have any other pets?

how many rescue bunnies do u have and r they kep seperate to ur show and breeding bunnies. Also how did u start u rescuing bunnies?

becky

Ive not much experience with mini rex ive only 2 but i like their temprement on a par with mini lops does of any breed can be hormonal lol.I dont have many babys that are not needed by me but if i have i home them to other breeders or privetly . Any rabbit that leaves here as rescue or mine goes with a lot of advice on their care heath and jabs and the understanding that they can come back whenever and im at there dissposal [phone ]for any questions

I think its great that you give ongoing advice when the babies leave you Val..do you miss them and get especially attached to any?
Have you got an all time favourite Bunny? If so, what is so special about this bunny?

I was wondering about your potential new owners:with both the spaniels I have which I have bought from people who have bred them, the breeders were very keen for me to keep in touch and to know that the puppy was OK? Do you feel the same way about your kits when they go, do you like to keep in touch with them?

Sorry to bombard you and thanks for doing this. :D

i live in london and have a large garden which over half is rabbit only space. i have 2 large sheds 1 for my rabbits and 1 for rescue rabbits

all my cages are built in and varie in size for each rabbit i dont use any systems as such i have a few fans and lots of fresh air in summer which blows through sheds
all my rabbits eat clark and butcher rabbit pellets hay some readygrass and the odd bit of vegs mostly carrots

i am a memeber of brc and local show clubs and mini and dwarf lops lop clubs

no i do not. i steward at shows as i like to handle lots of types of rabbits
yes a cat and a dog now[/b]

I have about 60 of my own rabbits and space for about 25 rescues, the rescues are kept in a seperate shed. I have been doing the rescues for about 4yrs it started because my best friend had been but was pushed for time having a young family mine are grown and im home 24 7 so i thought ive got the space and the time to help so i offered and know i handle all the rabbits and do the rehoming

Do your rabbits get any exercise? If so, how often do you let them out of their hutches?

What hutch sizes do you have?

Jenny

That's a lot of Rabbits!!!!! :shock:

Do you let some of them out of there hutches in a run or the garden?

Louise

I do have my favs at the moment my fav is a chin dwarf lop called monarch he is 2 and i breed him he has won best lop for me 3 times but its his temp that rearly gets me he loves his mum and likes kisses and cuddles Having a lot of rabbits dosent mean i carnt love them all but some get to your heart. When a rabbit of mine goes to a new home im always worried about them and i ask them to keep in touch some do some dont . a lot come to me for a holiday withch is great

val doesnt have to fund the rescue work herself as she works within animal samaritans!
and they fund her she has to buy extras thats all and do the work sorry thought i would join in sorry again :D

Oh thats great Val, and Monarch sounds really cute.
So you fund your Rescue by providing Rabbit Boarding and through some financial support from Animal Samaritans then?

Yes they do come out but they have to take it in turns they come out in runs that are concrete floored or they would get very dirty and when showing clean feet are a must.

The samaritons provide for the rascues and the boarding helps me for my rabbits, I do have grass but its used by my does and the rescues rabbits

The samaritons provide for the rescues and the boarding helps me for my rabbits, I do have grass but its used by my does and the rescues rabbits

although this interview is a very good idea it helps build bridge between too sides so to say? hopefully not all breeders and rescues are the same!
i have watched some of the questions being put to val one about exercise i know that they do come out other than on hard standing runs as i went to collect a bunny from her once and found him hiding in bushes covered in weeds and dirt been digging for hours lol i think she refers to the no grass runners as her present show buns?
some rabbits are always digging i have seen the holes lol :lol:
depends on who i am afraid i think?
as a breeder myself i also show and always have dirty feet buns as mine love dirt too much :?

Back