• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Concerned Winston is unhappy UPDATE post 24

aww bless him... but sounds like your vet is on it and will hopefully find out whatever it is!

topping up the vibes for him xxx

Another small update. I took Winston to the vets this morning and the vet agreed something wasn't quite right. He checked his teeth and outer eye which all seemed fine, and had a good feel of his organs and couldn't feel anything untoward. He weighed him and I was right about his weight loss, he has lost just over 30 grams in about a month. The vet decided to admit Winston for blood tests and X-rays. So him and Edith are staying at the vets for the day today but hopefully should be coming home early evening.

Can anyone give me some insight into the weight loss? Does it seem like a lot?

There can be lots of reasons for weight loss.

The vet can't actually see the back teeth without sedation (unless they are confident in performing 'conscious dentals') so teeth may still be an issue with under eating.

Vibes for Winston x

There can be lots of reasons for weight loss.

The vet can't actually see the back teeth without sedation (unless they are confident in performing 'conscious dentals') so teeth may still be an issue with under eating.

Vibes for Winston x

If there was something seriously wrong with his teeth I think his appetite would be affected?

They are both home now and Winston is happily munching away. The vet prescribed some Zantac and metacam for while we are waiting for the blood results, in case he is stressed and in pain.

I had quite a shock when it came to paying the bill, I didn't think I'd bother claiming on insurance for an X-ray and some bloods but his afternoon at the vets cost the same amount as when he had to spend 3 days there! Yay for insurance!

So the vet phoned today. He said there wasn't anything too concerning about his blood results. I think he said his platelets were slightly low, his enzymes slightly high and he thinks it could be liver coccidiosis but isn't 100% sure. He said he'll prescribe some medication to treat it that I can pick up this afternoon and then see him early next week to check up on him.

I've googled it and it seems to be really contagious/transmitted really easily, so why hasn't Edith got it?!

So the vet phoned today. He said there wasn't anything too concerning about his blood results. I think he said his platelets were slightly low, his enzymes slightly high and he thinks it could be liver coccidiosis but isn't 100% sure. He said he'll prescribe some medication to treat it that I can pick up this afternoon and then see him early next week to check up on him.

I hope that Winston will respond well to treatment xx

If there was something seriously wrong with his teeth I think his appetite would be affected?

They are both home now and Winston is happily munching away. The vet prescribed some Zantac and metacam for while we are waiting for the blood results, in case he is stressed and in pain.

I had quite a shock when it came to paying the bill, I didn't think I'd bother claiming on insurance for an X-ray and some bloods but his afternoon at the vets cost the same amount as when he had to spend 3 days there! Yay for insurance!

Not necessarily.

Regarding his teeth - bunnies don't always let that affect their appetite. I came across one rabbit in Rescue who's teeth were in such a terrible state when examined, but he kept on eating. The survival instinct!

Just seen your update ... I'm glad the blood results look good :)

Good luck with his ongoing treatment x

Okay so i've googled liver coccidiosis and it's talking about disinfecting their whole living area? And not putting hay on the floor or where it might become infected? They have hay in their litter trays because they like to munch and go to the loo....should I remove it and just use hay feeders? I'm panicking a bit!

Can your vet not do a fecal flotation? I know cocci is difficult to diagnose, but it would be something - and he could test both rabbits?

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Protozoal_diseases/Cocc_en.htm

The vet didn't mention that :/ He seemed keen to start Winston on treatment and i'm booking an appointment with him for Monday so i'll mention it then. The more research I do the more worried i'm getting though, it seems like it could be really serious?!

So i've picked up the baycox for Winston. Dosage is 0.4ml once daily for 3 days, repeat after 2 weeks which is different to what I have read on the web? He doesn't like it unfortunately so i'm not convinced he had all of his initial dose :/ He is still having metacam and zantac each day which he really likes. Could I mix the metacam and baycox doses so he is more likely to take them? I did try putting it in an ella's kitchen apple and strawberry mixture but he turned his nose up at that!

To make matters worse I realised this morning I've been giving Winston too much metacam :( The syringe I was given didn't fit on the end of the metacam bottle so I used a metacam syringe I already had. I thought the numbers on the side were ml but they were kg and it was a dog syringe. So instead of giving him 0.3mls like I thought I was i've been giving him the dose for a 30kg dog! I've been doing it since Monday! I know rabbits can have a lot higher dosage of metacam than dogs, but I phoned the vet to explain my error and he said not to worry too much but to hold off on the metacam until his check up on Monday. I have no idea if the baycox is doing anything to help yet. I just want my poorly boy to be better :(

I can't help with dosage but I had a goat kid with Coccidiosis years ago, once she was on the Baycox she made a rapid full recovery.

Have you seen these old posts

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...Should-be-Aware-of-This&p=6890344#post6890344

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?457313-Baycox-for-cocci&p=6795090#post6795090

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...aycox-toltrazuril-Cocci&p=6399393#post6399393

Sending lots of vibes for him xx

Thank you for your input. I am concerned the baycox dose is too high but there does seem to be a lot of debate over it! I'm feeling quite confused as it seems to be a pretty horrendous disease but Winston doesn't seem 'that' ill. Also he's had his third and final dose this morning and doesn't seem any better. A lot of the literature says to repeat in 5 days but I've been told to repeat in 2 weeks, which unfortunately is when we are away! I've bought some 10% ammonia solution so I'm going to use that to clean their litter trays today and others bits and pieces in the kitchen where they live!

Back