• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to secure a rabbit hutch/run from people?

Duchannes

New Kit
Hey guys and gals,

Do any of you have your rabbit houses secured from, well, thiefs?

My rabbits are all fixed (2 mxf pairs) and mixed breeds so someone wouldnt get much use from them however i saw a light in the garden last night that quickly went out within seconds of me turning a light on myself - checked the garden out and everything is ok but now i am super paranoid :(.

My houses etc are fox etc safe but I never considered another person. Im looking into getting padlocks etc but wanted to see whatever else people may be doing?

thanks!

Decent latches and padlocks on everything. Bicycle cable locks can also be useful if you can't use a hasp but can fit a couple of eyelets across a door/lid. One set of bike locks is padlocked to the eyelets, another is threaded through.

I've had more problems with people than eg foxes. Had a couple of rabbits stolen from different runs one Sat afternoon - worst feeling ever. Got them back a couple of days later as they were about to be dumped - mainly due to putting posters up everywhere. I never want to go through that again. Nothing will stop someone with bolt cutters, though.

We used to bolt cages down to concrete if they were easily lifted by two people.
CCTV signs up & a dummy camera if unable to hook up a real one.
Flood lights if you think it'll wake you up.
Decent padlock & multiple bolts. It's all about creating issues for them getting in & making it longer for them so you've more time to react to something.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I think if the situation is that the rabbits are in danger from other humans I would try to have them as indoor rabbits.

Such a shame that this is an issue :(

We live in military housing so no issues here, but I still double up on everything just for general security. So our big run has a chain through and a padlock, as well as the bolt and the play house has an upper bolt, lower bolt and padlock. Our rabbit shed has an inner padlock and outer padlock.

Also could you look at how secure your garden is overall and how easy it would be for someone to get in. Do you have a gate that needs securing? I'd second some security lighting too x

Back