Thread: Can yogurt treats kill rabbits?

Default Can yogurt treats kill rabbits?

I know someone whose rabbit passed away a few days ago. He didn't die of old age because he was only 2 and she said she doesn't know why he died. She said she fed him regular pellets, carrots sometimes, and yogurt treats. I've read other places that they weren't good for bunnies, but could they kill them? (I'm trying to help her figure out why her bunny died.)

I think it's highly unlikely yoghurt treats would kill a rabbit, whilst there is no denying that they are not a suitable treat I don't think they would cause death.
    Was the rabbit vaccinated up to date?

I believe the only way to know is to have a post mortem done I'm afraid

I used to give my buns these - until I realised that they are not good from them - my buns were fine so it's unlikely this is what caused your friends bun to die.

RVHD2 is known it cause sudden death in rabbits - so it could have been this if bunny wasn't vaccinated. And other things too - heart attack, stroke etc.

Only a PM will tell for sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Star-Dust View Post
    I know someone whose rabbit passed away a few days ago. He didn't die of old age because he was only 2 and she said she doesn't know why he died. She said she fed him regular pellets, carrots sometimes, and yogurt treats. I've read other places that they weren't good for bunnies, but could they kill them? (I'm trying to help her figure out why her bunny died.)

I very much doubt the drops had anything to do with the death, but it's upsetting not to know why, I agree.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Star-Dust View Post
    I am sorry that your friend lost her Bunny. It is highly unlikely that it was due to the Yoghurt drops. That said, they are not really a suitable treat for a Rabbit, even though some are actually advertised as being so. As rachylou, Limit and Fellie have mentioned, a Post Mortem examination is the only way to ascertain the most likely cause of death.

If your friend is thinking of getting another Rabbit at some stage perhaps you could pass on the information contained in this link to the Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund's website:

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resou...=leaflets.html

RIP Bunny xx

Can you offer Rosie and Lucy a Forever Home, they have been waiting for so long ? The girls are beautiful, Rosie has a bit of 'Hare' about her and Lucy has a little mane and tufty bum fluff !.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...r-home-(Essex)