Thread: On March 16th, 2010 ~ a sad anniversary

Default On March 16th, 2010 ~ a sad anniversary

On March 16th, 2010, I lost this wonderful, gentle, sweet boy.

It is so hard to believe it has been 7 years. No he wasn't a bunny, but he was the best friend a woman could ever have. Loyal and protective and just a big teddy bear to the family...woe unto anyone else who crossed his path!

He was such a good lad. The day we had to take him to the vet for the last time was the hardest I can remember in many years. He had suffered for a few months with worsening kidney function and some kind of doggy dementia, plus spinal and nerve issues. I had wanted to take him in long before but my ex wasn't interested (he'd have had to help me as this dog was so massive I could not get him into the car, much less drive it in winter conditions) and so when this day came all those years ago, he was definitely suffering and needed help. I won't ever forget how angry I was with myself, and my ex, and just the whole bloomin' world that I lost my one and only Shadow. I don't think it took even seconds for him to slip away once the vet had given the injection.

I know you are waiting for me at the bridge, boy. It makes me tear up even now to the point I can hardly type. I miss our walks in the snow, the wonderful summers where I'd have to groom out that great coat of yours and you were so patient and good about it, even with the knots behind your ears...the times we'd see just your nose show up on the glass pane of the front door and we knew you wanted company...watching you run beside the four wheeler when we took you to the river for a dip on the hotter days. You never ran, boy...you flew.
    Your signature howl was a wild thing. Your booming bark had gone by the time you were ready for the Rainbow. But I will never forget the sound of it. You ate daddy's hat, and his chair, and it took so much for him to earn your trust, something he usually didn't have trouble getting from animals...they all seem to flock to him. But he did have to earn it. All I had to do was put on a skirt and feed you a bag of hot dogs.

I read Island of the Blue Dolphins as a child. It stuck with me for years. When I met you, I knew you were my "Rontu." I will never forget how you made me feel safe in a place where, even with my family around me, I felt totally alone. Thank you for that, boy.

You earned your wings, Shay. I hope you are happy in Paradise. I miss you so very much. Thanks again for sending Jenna to me. I know I wouldn't have survived without her after losing you and I know you had a paw in it. We'll spend the day today thinking of you, and looking forward to when we can all be together again.

Love you to the moon and back, Shadow. xxxx

For El-ahrairah to cry....

Warren Veteran

Sending hugs. Enjoy your wonderful memories of Shadow.

What a beautiful dog 💜 shadow was xx

Thinking of you as you remember Shadow he was gorgeous xx

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Wise Old Thumper

What a wonderful anniversary tribute to your beautiful Shadow. xxx

What an amazing pup! He must have been so cuddly

Wise Old Thumper

Shadow sounds to have been a dear and special friend.

((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))))) xx

A beautiful tribute xxx

Wise Old Thumper Barn Yard Bunnies's Avatar

Shadow, such a big beautiful companion. . I am so sorry you lost him 7 years ago. Hugs xxx

Thank you everyone Yes, he was and will always be a very special friend. Each animal companion who comes into our lives is unique, but there was just something about Shadow. I don't think I'll ever see his like again in my lifetime.

Thank you all for your kind comments. xxxx

For El-ahrairah to cry....