• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Here we go again..

Sharpie

Warren Scout
Hi all, as some of you remember about a month ago, I had Daisy inside as she had the start of G.i stasis.
Well.. Tonight her sister Lulu refused her veg.. She was sat hunched in the corner.
So she's indoors now, but shes so much more active then daisy was.. She's hopping about exploring, being nosey.
I felt her tummy and can't feel any lumps or hear any nasty sounds.
Her teeth are OK.
No lumps on her jaw.
But she won't eat.
I've tried lettuce, cucumber, carrot, Apple, 4 flavours of hay, herb mix (she loves) and even treats.. But nothing.
She was eating like normal this morning.
Unsure if pooping as ahe lives with others.
Am I looking at g.i again?

Possibly. If she isn't eating then you need to get her to the vets to be checked over asap. You should be able to hear some soft gurgling if you listen to her tummy, a silent tummy isn't necessarily a good thing. X

She's just had some water, I also just syringed her 1ml infacol and 2ml Oxbow before she got stroppy.
She's been hopping around exploring, and now she's laying down relaxing
Still no eating yet, although she keeps sniffing her hay and veg.
My friend is on stand by incase she doesn't eat on her own by morning (I don't get paid for a week)
Fingers.crossed she'll eat solo soon!

Hey all.
She was up and down all night, constantly moving her box round and round and round the floor (upside down box to hide in)
6am and I've found a puddle of wee and found 3 poops.
She's scoffed the carrot, Apple, lettuce and treat in the night.
She's currently moving her box around again, she's managed a full 360 this morning lol!
Going to tempt her with some more food at 8am and wait for some more poop before giving her the all clear :)

Hi all, as some of you remember about a month ago, I had Daisy inside as she had the start of G.i stasis.
Well.. Tonight her sister Lulu refused her veg.. She was sat hunched in the corner.
So she's indoors now, but shes so much more active then daisy was.. She's hopping about exploring, being nosey.
I felt her tummy and can't feel any lumps or hear any nasty sounds.
Her teeth are OK.
No lumps on her jaw.
But she won't eat.
I've tried lettuce, cucumber, carrot, Apple, 4 flavours of hay, herb mix (she loves) and even treats.. But nothing.
She was eating like normal this morning.
Unsure if pooping as ahe lives with others.
Am I looking at g.i again?

Hey Sharpie, I'm so sorry I didn't see your message last night!

How are things now?

You can give Infacol every hour for three doses :thumb:

Hey!
Looking promising, she ate some grass and dandelions this morning (under her box - I'm not allowed to watch her eat by the sounds of it)
And she did some more poo, she's currently outside with the others, trying to get her and her sister to talk again!
She ate some more dandelions, was hoping they'd eat together but she snatched some and ran lol!
I'm sat watching them as they're in separate boxes atm hiding from each other!
I'm being moaned at on Facebook to go to the vets because she may have dental problems because she's eating everything bar hay.. She had some straw earlier.
She's just a fussy bun, her and Lady Blue were never massive hay eaters..
What do you think? Am I supposed to be concerned that my bunny that never eats a lot of hay, isn't eating a lot of hay? Lol!

Hey!
Looking promising, she ate some grass and dandelions this morning (under her box - I'm not allowed to watch her eat by the sounds of it)
And she did some more poo, she's currently outside with the others, trying to get her and her sister to talk again!
She ate some more dandelions, was hoping they'd eat together but she snatched some and ran lol!
I'm being moaned at on Facebook to go to the vets because she may have dental problems because she's eating everything bar hay.. She had some straw earlier.
What do you think? Am I supposed to be concerned that my bunny that never eats a lot of hay, isn't eating a lot of hay? Lol!

To be fair a Rabbit who seldom eats much hay is more likely to develop Dental problems. So even if you feel that the people on FB are 'moaning' at you it would be a good idea to try to get Lulu's teeth checked out at some stage. Otherwise the 'stasis episodes' are likely to recur.

Hopefully Lulu is doing OK now ?

Hope she is doing well today :)

Does she eat a lot of grass? My Louie didn't eat much hay but ate lots of grass. The same grinding action is used to chew both hay and grass.

I too would definately have her teeth checked.

Hey!

Straw is good fibre and better than nothing :)

Sometimes a rabbit's teeth won't allow them to eat hay, however hard you try and encourage it.

Have you got readigrass? Is there any fresh grass she can have access to? That's equally good for the teeth :)

Lulu eats hay when she wants to. She has access to it all day, along with some pellets.
She normally grazes for a few minutes when she's first let out as it's fresher then the hay inside from last night and I put herbs in it, then she won't eat any until mid day ish and then from then on she has a snack and leaves it.
Always been that way, she's never eaten a great deal of it, my snowball doesn't stop eating, but lulu was never like that.

They currently have 5 hays to choose from daily; Meadow, Bark, Camomile, dandelion & marigold and one called "fresh grass"

I get that people are telling me to get her checked because she doesn't eat it constantly, but I've had her for 6 years and she's always been the same, I checked their front teeth all the time.
I know I can't see her back teeth, but if she's eating hay, then surely there's no issue? She's just a fussy hay eater!

As it is today she's spent over half and hour grazing on some hay, but it's likely she won't for the rest of the day until bedtime.

Last edited:
Lulu eats hay when she wants to. She has access to it all day, along with some pellets.
She normally grazes for a few minutes when she's first let out as it's fresher then the hay inside from last night and I put herbs in it, then she won't eat any until mid day ish and then from then on she has a snack and leaves it.
Always been that way, she's never eaten a great deal of it, my snowball doesn't stop eating, but lulu was never like that.

They currently have 5 hays to choose from daily; Meadow, Bark, Camomile, dandelion & marigold and one called "fresh grass"

I get that people are telling me to get her checked because she doesn't eat it constantly, but I've had her for 6 years and she's always been the same, I checked their front teeth all the time.
I know I can't see her back teeth, but if she's eating hay, then surely there's no issue? She's just a fussy hay eater!

As it is today she's spent over half and hour grazing on some hay, but it's likely she won't for the rest of the day until bedtime.

One of my buns is a great hay eater. He literally eats it all day and he's still had spurs on his back teeth in the past.

Of course it's your decision on whether or not you take her to the vets but it can be a vicious circle with teeth. If her teeth are hurting her and they start cutting into her tongue then you might have a hard time getting her to start eating again. At this point you will have to see a vet, they will tell you that she needs a dental and you will have to consider putting a poorly bunny with an empty stomach through a GA which is never ideal.

Back