Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here we go again..

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    Hey!
    Looking promising, she ate some grass and dandelions this morning (under her box - I'm not allowed to watch her eat by the sounds of it)
    And she did some more poo, she's currently outside with the others, trying to get her and her sister to talk again!
    She ate some more dandelions, was hoping they'd eat together but she snatched some and ran lol!
    I'm sat watching them as they're in separate boxes atm hiding from each other!
    I'm being moaned at on Facebook to go to the vets because she may have dental problems because she's eating everything bar hay.. She had some straw earlier.
    She's just a fussy bun, her and Lady Blue were never massive hay eaters..
    What do you think? Am I supposed to be concerned that my bunny that never eats a lot of hay, isn't eating a lot of hay? Lol!

Straw is good fibre and better than nothing

Sometimes a rabbit's teeth won't allow them to eat hay, however hard you try and encourage it.

Have you got readigrass? Is there any fresh grass she can have access to? That's equally good for the teeth

Lulu eats hay when she wants to. She has access to it all day, along with some pellets.
    She normally grazes for a few minutes when she's first let out as it's fresher then the hay inside from last night and I put herbs in it, then she won't eat any until mid day ish and then from then on she has a snack and leaves it.
    Always been that way, she's never eaten a great deal of it, my snowball doesn't stop eating, but lulu was never like that.

They currently have 5 hays to choose from daily; Meadow, Bark, Camomile, dandelion & marigold and one called "fresh grass"

I get that people are telling me to get her checked because she doesn't eat it constantly, but I've had her for 6 years and she's always been the same, I checked their front teeth all the time.
    I know I can't see her back teeth, but if she's eating hay, then surely there's no issue? She's just a fussy hay eater!

As it is today she's spent over half and hour grazing on some hay, but it's likely she won't for the rest of the day until bedtime.
    Last edited by Sharpie; 18-03-2017 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    Lulu eats hay when she wants to. She has access to it all day, along with some pellets.
    She normally grazes for a few minutes when she's first let out as it's fresher then the hay inside from last night and I put herbs in it, then she won't eat any until mid day ish and then from then on she has a snack and leaves it.
    Always been that way, she's never eaten a great deal of it, my snowball doesn't stop eating, but lulu was never like that.

They currently have 5 hays to choose from daily; Meadow, Bark, Camomile, dandelion & marigold and one called "fresh grass"

I get that people are telling me to get her checked because she doesn't eat it constantly, but I've had her for 6 years and she's always been the same, I checked their front teeth all the time.
    I know I can't see her back teeth, but if she's eating hay, then surely there's no issue? She's just a fussy hay eater!

As it is today she's spent over half and hour grazing on some hay, but it's likely she won't for the rest of the day until bedtime.
    One of my buns is a great hay eater. He literally eats it all day and he's still had spurs on his back teeth in the past.

Of course it's your decision on whether or not you take her to the vets but it can be a vicious circle with teeth. If her teeth are hurting her and they start cutting into her tongue then you might have a hard time getting her to start eating again. At this point you will have to see a vet, they will tell you that she needs a dental and you will have to consider putting a poorly bunny with an empty stomach through a GA which is never ideal.