Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Growing your own veg- Winter?

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    Yes, I'm aware that commercially frozen veg is better for people for the reasons you've mentioned.

Which veg are you thinking of freezing for the rabbits? Frozen veg usually has to be cooked before eating and so it would become limp and unappetising to the rabbits. In my view the type of veg that rabbits like to eat is best eaten raw, otherwise I think the cell structure would change. I am not suggesting that it would be harmful, just that they wouldn't want to eat it.

My rabbits will eat kale leaves, stalks and when the plant has finished producing, they will even eat that

I also forage a lot and during the summer, the rabbits have mainly forage rather than vegetables. I also feed tree leaves and tree twigs (obviously from trees they can consume). Fresh hand-cut grass also goes down well. Bramble leaves are usually available all year round and are generally loved by rabbits.
    Ah ok! Thanks for that. Was just confused didn't really have a specific veg in mind, just thought it would work to save money and know that their stuff is chemical free. Could just be trial and error then with some faves.

Yea I'm going to forage too I think, so I can dry that stuff. We have 10 acres so lots of hedges, nettles and sticky weed. Is blackcurrant sticks ok as that's what most of our hedge is. (It is prickly tho!) Think we have some hazel too. Must get a Willow Tree too.

We have apple and pear trees but they're really old and so the bark just flakes off the branches.

Thank you for your help!

P.s the rabbits in your sigs are gorgeous!!

Warren Veteran

10 acres Wow, I'm jealous!

Tbh with 10 acres, I would concentrate especially during the summer months, on forage for the rabbits, rather than vegetables. Once you get to know what is growing on your land and whether rabbits will be able to eat it, you will be able to pick bucketfuls each day. You would also presumably have access to fresh grass, which you could hand-cut for them. Depending on how far north you live, most forage can be picked fresh from Feb/March until at least October and so you would only need to dry a small amount. The veg could be used in the winter months. As I said before I feed a lot of tree leaves and so if you have hedges, you almost certainly will have something that the rabbits could nibble on. Willow, Hazel and Hawthorn go down very well, both leaves and twigs. Rabbits can have Blackcurrant twigs, but are you sure that's what they are and not Blackberry?

When are you thinking of getting your rabbits?

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    10 acres Wow, I'm jealous!

Tbh with 10 acres, I would concentrate especially during the summer months, on forage for the rabbits, rather than vegetables. Once you get to know what is growing on your land and whether rabbits will be able to eat it, you will be able to pick bucketfuls each day. You would also presumably have access to fresh grass, which you could hand-cut for them. Depending on how far north you live, most forage can be picked fresh from Feb/March until at least October and so you would only need to dry a small amount. The veg could be used in the winter months. As I said before I feed a lot of tree leaves and so if you have hedges, you almost certainly will have something that the rabbits could nibble on. Willow, Hazel and Hawthorn go down very well, both leaves and twigs. Rabbits can have Blackcurrant twigs, but are you sure that's what they are and not Blackberry?

When are you thinking of getting your rabbits?
    Yea just got to get to any food before the horses and chickens!!
    I did mean blackberry ( but we do have some blackcurrant by the veggie garden)

Not sure when I will get them, just researching at the min, have looked at guinea pigs too. I might wait until I have done my exams this spring. Thank you for your help