• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Entire Male living in the same room with 2 neutered females - Is this possible?

hi,

I have found a lovely mini lop for sale. I have been in contact asked some questions about him and am tempted to go and see him tonight.

The breeder says he is a lovley chap, loves attention etc so he sounds like the sort of Bunny I am after

However, he is an entire male (has been used for breeding)

I have never had a male Rabbit before so need some advice on temperament and things.

Is he likely to get upset that he can see/smell 2 females in the room? (Not sure how he is kept at his current home but will see when I visit), would this cause a drastic change in behaviour/ cause him to spray urine (he doesn't do it in his current home). I am looking at getting him castrated but is it best to do it asap or in a couple of weeks time?

And my 2 female rabbits (who I have posted about before where slightly aggressive to each other before they where spayed but they have since been spayed and are 100% fine with each other now), would this cause aggression issues between them again if they can see/smell a different rabbit?

He would be living in his own cage and probably have separate playtime

I am very interested in him but I just need to sort the practicalities out and need some advice as to whether this can work.

Thankyou in advance!

Well, I'm trying to speak with a sensible hat on - and wouldn't risk it. Even if you have him neutered immediately you'd need to keep him in a separate room for several weeks until his hormones died down. Even then you are in great danger of referred aggression and breaking the bond between your girls. Others may disagree, of course.

hi,

I have found a lovely mini lop for sale. I have been in contact asked some questions about him and am tempted to go and see him tonight.

The breeder says he is a lovley chap, loves attention etc so he sounds like the sort of Bunny I am after

However, he is an entire male (has been used for breeding)

I have never had a male Rabbit before so need some advice on temperament and things.

Is he likely to get upset that he can see/smell 2 females in the room? (Not sure how he is kept at his current home but will see when I visit), would this cause a drastic change in behaviour/ cause him to spray urine (he doesn't do it in his current home). I am looking at getting him castrated but is it best to do it asap or in a couple of weeks time?

And my 2 female rabbits (who I have posted about before where slightly aggressive to each other before they where spayed but they have since been spayed and are 100% fine with each other now), would this cause aggression issues between them again if they can see/smell a different rabbit?

He would be living in his own cage and probably have separate playtime

I am very interested in him but I just need to sort the practicalities out and need some advice as to whether this can work.

Thankyou in advance!

To answer some of your questions.....

He may well upset the bond between your two females.

He may well feel frustrated at being in the same room as other (even spayed) females and not being able to get to them.

If he's 6 months or over then yes, he can be castrated immediately. It will take 2/3 months for his hormones to settle.

I personally wouldn't introduce a male to a female/female bond where their previous relationship has been a bit rocky (although sturdy now)..

They are only my thoughts, but as an experienced rabbit keeper for 25 years, and having bonded hundreds of rabbits, I wouldn't do it :)

Back