• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Need help and fast. Very worried bunny mummy

Lady Elf

New Kit
I have 2 mini lops both 6 months old and they are sisters. Jessica and Alice.

When I first got them Jessica did decide to try humping Alice but I was informed that this was dominant behaviour as they they were in a new home. It only happened the once (that I am aware of)

In the past 48 hours Jessica is permanently chasing Alice around trying to hump her. There hutch is a mess from where poor Alice is trying to escape. If she runs outside the hutch (they have a play pen attached to the hutch) Jessica just follows her and the chase continues.

Today before I left for work I separated them. I couldn't bear the thought of coming home to an injured bunny.

As soon as I allowed them back together Jessica decides to continue the chase. [emoji45]

I have doubled checked that Jessica is definitely a girl as that was my first worry. As much as I love them, I really don't want a fluffal of mini lops.

What can I do???? There aren't any visible signs of Alice being hurt but I really don't want to wait for that to happen.

I don't want to separate them as I got 2 rabbits so they always had company.

Please help me!!!! I have no one else to ask [emoji120]

Thank you in advance Emilie xx

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

I'm afraid their hormones have kicked in and you need to get them spayed as soon as possible.
Are you certain they are both girls?

Thank you for your quick reply Babsie :D

Well I have checked them both and I believe they are both girls. I haven't had them checked by a vet though.
I didn't realise their hormones kick in this early. I was being naïve I suppose and was thinking this might not happen until they are at least 1 year.

How would you recommend I deal with the situation until I can get them into the vets?

You will need to separate them now as one, or both, could be boys. At 6 months old any boys would have testicles but these are not always easy to find! Even if they are both girls it isn't very pleasant for the one being chased so you need to have them neutered. It will take a couple of months for their hormones to subside and for them to be suitable for re-bonding. This may or may not be successful. The joys of rabbit ownership!

Thank you for your quick reply Babsie :D

Well I have checked them both and I believe they are both girls. I haven't had them checked by a vet though.
I didn't realise their hormones kick in this early. I was being naïve I suppose and was thinking this might not happen until they are at least 1 year.

How would you recommend I deal with the situation until I can get them into the vets?

You need to separate them - otherwise you risk fighting and, besides the awful injuries they can cause, you risk not being able to re-bond. Do you have a good rabbit-savvy vet?

I've just spoken to the nurse at the vets and they were really helpful.
Thank you for your help guys. They are booked in to see the vet tomorrow ❤

I've just spoken to the nurse at the vets and they were really helpful.
Thank you for your help guys. They are booked in to see the vet tomorrow ❤

Try to ensure that the vet is experienced with rabbits, as not all of them are. Good luck - look forward to an update.

Will do thank you 😚
I just hoping they don't hurt themselves before I get them nurtured 😣

Will do thank you 😚
I just hoping they don't hurt themselves before I get them nurtured 😣

Hi there and welcome to the Forum :wave:

Two girls often fight when they reach sexual maturity, so as Babsie has said, please separate them now and until a couple of weeks (at least) after they are neutered. That should give a bit of time for their hormones to subside.

Then you can try introducing them to one another, on neutral territory so that neither one feels the space is theirs. If one feels they have a right to the territory over the other, it may lead to further squabbling.

Good luck xx

Back