Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leroy Sick - Bot Fly? Abcess? IDK

Quote Originally Posted by ShirleyGirl View Post
    Vet says it is an abscess, whether from a cut, scratch, bot fly, bite, no one knows. Since I have been cleaning it, she could not reliably culture it for specific bacteria. He had no temp. So he will get an oral antibiotic and we'll see what happens. Vet's words: "What will be, will be." She says she never knows what will happen with a rabbit abscess and can give me no guarantee, but the fact that he is young and healthy, eats a very good diet, gets fresh air, exercise and affection should help. She wants to recheck in 10 days. In the meantime, she encouraged me to have patience, keep calm and not look at the wound for 48 hours.

I hope he will recover well.

Was your journey terrible?

The rabbit vet is 30 miles through back country. I hit a few snow squalls that covered the roads and made visibility poor for a few seconds. Fortunately they were very short stretches. Thanks for asking.

He looks miserable right now. I suspect the azithromycin may upset his tummy. That will open a whole 'nother can of worms.

The rabbit vet is 30 miles through back country. I hit a few snow squalls that covered the roads and made visibility poor for a few seconds. Fortunately they were very short stretches. Thanks for asking.

He looks miserable right now. I suspect the azithromycin may upset his tummy. That will open a whole 'nother can of worms.

It's so stressful driving in bad weather

Vibes for you both over night x

Wise Old Thumper

It can cause GI tract pain in some Rabbits, I hope that Leroy will be able to tolerate it as it is a good abx for the treatment of abscesses. Has he received any pain relief ?

Can you offer Rosie and Lucy a Forever Home, they have been waiting for so long ? The girls are beautiful, Rosie has a bit of 'Hare' about her and Lucy has a little mane and tufty bum fluff !.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...r-home-(Essex)

I really hope it doesn't open another can of worms for you both

How are things looking today?

He seemed good this morning, waiting at the door for his food - a good sign.

Jack's-Jane: Vet did not give us pain meds.

The more I read about abscesses in rabbits, the more concerned I become over giving antibiotics. Most of the literature states that antibiotics cannot penetrate the capsule that forms around the abscess. Antibiotics suppress the immune system, kill off bacteria - both good and bad - leaving the rabbit vulnerable to other GI conditions. So I wonder if it is a good idea to give this. Or do vets just give us meds because we expect them to do something to fix our buns?

I may go back to grapefruit seed extract, a natural antibiotic. Rabbits tolerate it.

Anyone having used zith, please weigh in.

Giving him his med tonight - while cleaning off the drops on his fur, I found another abscess starting on his cheek. The vet just checked his face and teeth yesterday. Poor guy - doesn't look hopeful.

double post
    Last edited by ShirleyGirl; 17-03-2017 at 03:51 AM.

Wise Old Thumper

Giving him his med tonight - while cleaning off the drops on his fur, I found another abscess starting on his cheek. The vet just checked his face and teeth yesterday. Poor guy - doesn't look hopeful.
    Oh dear I am sorry to hear this It is very strange that the Vet has not provided Leroy with any pain relief Is there any way you could contact the Vet again to request some. As you know, a Rabbit in pain can go into gut stasis and that really is not something Leroy needs right now.

http://rabbit.org/the-importance-of-...r-pet-rabbits/

Can you offer Rosie and Lucy a Forever Home, they have been waiting for so long ? The girls are beautiful, Rosie has a bit of 'Hare' about her and Lucy has a little mane and tufty bum fluff !.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...r-home-(Essex)

Oh no I'm sorry to hear this