• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Leroy Sick - Bot Fly? Abcess? IDK

I have a call into the vet for today and I'll be asking about pain meds. The pinkish spot on his cheek isn't a lump nor is it open. I'm not sure what it is - maybe an older sore? His fur is so thick but it is very hard to think neither the vet or I would not have seen this.

The other wound looks like it's healing, but it may be too soon to tell anything. He's still hopping around and eating, looking for pets, so that's good.

I have a call into the vet for today and I'll be asking about pain meds. The pinkish spot on his cheek isn't a lump nor is it open. I'm not sure what it is - maybe an older sore? His fur is so thick but it is very hard to think neither the vet or I would not have seen this.

The other wound looks like it's healing, but it may be too soon to tell anything. He's still hopping around and eating, looking for pets, so that's good.

Did the vet agree to pain relief? Did the vet even think he was in pain?

Seems it is not another abscess on his face, but pink zithromax that was matted down in his fur from the vet's office visit. I think (and with that luxe coat of his, I can't be 100% sure) that there is not another one and we are panicking too quickly.

Vet said she does not give pain meds to rabbits due to their delicate system. (She may not be as rabbit savvy as I was led to believe.) IDK, he doesn't seem like he is in pain. I just spent an hour with him and he was hopping all over the room, jumping up on things, exploring nooks and crannies in the laundry room. He seems to be doing better. The hole is looking a bit smaller and like it may have started healing - no angry redness. I think he was most likely in pain when the thing opened up and was so raw.

Her advice to have patience is really what I need to do; I am getting way too emotional about this. But I think I am in good company on this forum :)

Seems it is not another abscess on his face, but pink zithromax that was matted down in his fur from the vet's office visit. I think (and with that luxe coat of his, I can't be 100% sure) that there is not another one and we are panicking too quickly.

Vet said she does not give pain meds to rabbits due to their delicate system.
(She may not be as rabbit savvy as I was led to believe.) IDK, he doesn't seem like he is in pain. I just spent an hour with him and he was hopping all over the room, jumping up on things, exploring nooks and crannies in the laundry room. He seems to be doing better. The hole is looking a bit smaller and like it may have started healing - no angry redness. I think he was most likely in pain when the thing opened up and was so raw.

Her advice to have patience is really what I need to do; I am getting way too emotional about this. But I think I am in good company on this forum :)

I find that to be incredibly sad :cry:

I hope that Leroy will respond to the antibiotics. If not and surgery were to be considered then personally I would want to locate a more Rabbit Savvy Vet first.

Vet said she does not give pain meds to rabbits due to their delicate system. (She may not be as rabbit savvy as I was led to believe.) IDK, he doesn't seem like he is in pain. I just spent an hour with him and he was hopping all over the room, jumping up on things, exploring nooks and crannies in the laundry room. He seems to be doing better. The hole is looking a bit smaller and like it may have started healing - no angry redness. I think he was most likely in pain when the thing opened up and was so raw.

To be fair, a lot of rabbit abscesses don't cause pain, and only your vet can look and see what she thinks about all this. We can only speculate. If he's bobbing around OK then things sound manageable right now.

I hope his abscess heals up and remains clean and clear, and he maintains his happy spirits :)

Leroy's sore is getting smaller and seems to be healing up. He is certainly back to his cheeky self. Today the temp was almost 60 degrees, so he was out in the yard for an hour and enjoyed munching whatever grass he could find. He is still eating very well and looking for head rubs whenever possible. I'm encouraged.

Leroy's sore is getting smaller and seems to be healing up. He is certainly back to his cheeky self. Today the temp was almost 60 degrees, so he was out in the yard for an hour and enjoyed munching whatever grass he could find. He is still eating very well and looking for head rubs whenever possible. I'm encouraged.

I am glad to hear that Leroy seems to be improving :)

wonderful to hear this update :D

Back