• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Leroy Sick - Bot Fly? Abcess? IDK

ShirleyGirl

Young Bun
Saturday night, we found an open wound on Leroy's inner leg. It was hidden in all his fur and despite handling him several times every day, I did not see this. It is quarter sized and had a round hole with some scabbing around it. I was in shock - never saw anything like this! I put some antibiotic ointment on it and put him to bed. I did some quick research and thought it might be an abcess. Sunday I got some povidone to clean it and Veterycin to dress the wound which, of course, he licked off.

I called the vet on Monday and he said it could be an abcess or maybe a bot fly larvae exit wound, since it was round, and said to just keep it clean with the povidone and it would heal on its own. Vet has seen several bot fly wounds already this year due to the warmer weather we had in February.

Through this time, he is eating/pooing normally, but definitely acting a bit subdued.

Yesterday we had an 18" snowstorm and everything was closed so I could do nothing but continue to dress the wound. But I noticed he seems a bit thinner. Still eating everything I put down, but not as voraciously as he usually does. Still a bit more subdued but enjoying being cuddled and pet, nudging my hand for head rubs.

This morning I made a vet appointment for later. He is still eating, still nudging for head rubs, but is very subdued, not running to the cage door for attention. It's obvious he does not feel good. I think he would stay on my lap all day if he could, but that's not possible. He chomped down a piece of carrot and banana and was eating pellets when I last checked.

The wound is not oozing or wet, is pink around the edges, indicating some healing. But it's just so big and on the round part of his knee so it gets tugged on when he moves.

I am very sad; from what I am reading he may not make it. On Friday, Hubby started constructing a lovely new pen for them. He has all the frames built for an 8x10 enclosure, 6 ft. high with a gate so I can walk in. We were hoping to have it finished and up in a few weeks so they could enjoy the spring.

Saturday night, we found an open wound on Leroy's inner leg. It was hidden in all his fur and despite handling him several times every day, I did not see this. It is quarter sized and had a round hole with some scabbing around it. I was in shock - never saw anything like this! I put some antibiotic ointment on it and put him to bed. I did some quick research and thought it might be an abcess. Sunday I got some povidone to clean it and Veterycin to dress the wound which, of course, he licked off.

I called the vet on Monday and he said it could be an abcess or maybe a bot fly larvae exit wound, since it was round, and said to just keep it clean with the povidone and it would heal on its own. Vet has seen several bot fly wounds already this year due to the warmer weather we had in February.

Through this time, he is eating/pooing normally, but definitely acting a bit subdued.

Yesterday we had an 18" snowstorm and everything was closed so I could do nothing but continue to dress the wound. But I noticed he seems a bit thinner. Still eating everything I put down, but not as voraciously as he usually does. Still a bit more subdued but enjoying being cuddled and pet, nudging my hand for head rubs.

This morning I made a vet appointment for later. He is still eating, still nudging for head rubs, but is very subdued, not running to the cage door for attention. It's obvious he does not feel good. I think he would stay on my lap all day if he could, but that's not possible. He chomped down a piece of carrot and banana and was eating pellets when I last checked.

The wound is not oozing or wet, is pink around the edges, indicating some healing. But it's just so big and on the round part of his knee so it gets tugged on when he moves.

I am very sad; from what I am reading he may not make it. On Friday, Hubby started constructing a lovely new pen for them. He has all the frames built for an 8x10 enclosure, 6 ft. high with a gate so I can walk in. We were hoping to have it finished and up in a few weeks so they could enjoy the spring.

Poor boy, he may be subdued because he is in pain :cry: I hope that the Vet can help him, it sounds as though he will need both pain relief and systemic antibiotics.

I'm sorry to hear this :(

Have you seen the vet yet?

Thanks for all the good thoughts.

I am leaving in 5 minutes. Vet is a good 45 minutes from here, out in the country in next county. I'm hoping the roads are sufficiently cleared. Snow is blowing like crazy and it's cold! I'll post when I get back home.

Vet says it is an abscess, whether from a cut, scratch, bot fly, bite, no one knows. Since I have been cleaning it, she could not reliably culture it for specific bacteria. He had no temp. So he will get an oral antibiotic and we'll see what happens. Vet's words: "What will be, will be." She says she never knows what will happen with a rabbit abscess and can give me no guarantee, but the fact that he is young and healthy, eats a very good diet, gets fresh air, exercise and affection should help. She wants to recheck in 10 days. In the meantime, she encouraged me to have patience, keep calm and not look at the wound for 48 hours.

Vet says it is an abscess, whether from a cut, scratch, bot fly, bite, no one knows. Since I have been cleaning it, she could not reliably culture it for specific bacteria. He had no temp. So he will get an oral antibiotic and we'll see what happens. Vet's words: "What will be, will be." She says she never knows what will happen with a rabbit abscess and can give me no guarantee, but the fact that he is young and healthy, eats a very good diet, gets fresh air, exercise and affection should help. She wants to recheck in 10 days. In the meantime, she encouraged me to have patience, keep calm and not look at the wound for 48 hours.

I hope he will recover well.

Was your journey terrible?

The rabbit vet is 30 miles through back country. I hit a few snow squalls that covered the roads and made visibility poor for a few seconds. Fortunately they were very short stretches. Thanks for asking.

He looks miserable right now. I suspect the azithromycin may upset his tummy. That will open a whole 'nother can of worms.

The rabbit vet is 30 miles through back country. I hit a few snow squalls that covered the roads and made visibility poor for a few seconds. Fortunately they were very short stretches. Thanks for asking.

He looks miserable right now. I suspect the azithromycin may upset his tummy. That will open a whole 'nother can of worms.

It's so stressful driving in bad weather :(

Vibes for you both over night x

It can cause GI tract pain in some Rabbits, I hope that Leroy will be able to tolerate it as it is a good abx for the treatment of abscesses. Has he received any pain relief ?

I really hope it doesn't open another can of worms for you both :(

How are things looking today?

He seemed good this morning, waiting at the door for his food - a good sign.

Jack's-Jane: Vet did not give us pain meds.

The more I read about abscesses in rabbits, the more concerned I become over giving antibiotics. Most of the literature states that antibiotics cannot penetrate the capsule that forms around the abscess. Antibiotics suppress the immune system, kill off bacteria - both good and bad - leaving the rabbit vulnerable to other GI conditions. So I wonder if it is a good idea to give this. Or do vets just give us meds because we expect them to do something to fix our buns?

I may go back to grapefruit seed extract, a natural antibiotic. Rabbits tolerate it.

Anyone having used zith, please weigh in.

Giving him his med tonight - while cleaning off the drops on his fur, I found another abscess starting on his cheek. The vet just checked his face and teeth yesterday. Poor guy - doesn't look hopeful.

Giving him his med tonight - while cleaning off the drops on his fur, I found another abscess starting on his cheek. The vet just checked his face and teeth yesterday. Poor guy - doesn't look hopeful.

Oh dear :cry: I am sorry to hear this :cry: It is very strange that the Vet has not provided Leroy with any pain relief :? :cry: Is there any way you could contact the Vet again to request some. As you know, a Rabbit in pain can go into gut stasis and that really is not something Leroy needs right now.

http://rabbit.org/the-importance-of-analgesia-pain-control-for-pet-rabbits/

Back