Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House rabbit flooring advice needed- urgent

Default House rabbit flooring advice needed- urgent

Hello, this is my first post; sorry to skip the intro and go straight the advice thread, but I have a bit of a dilemma:

I am looking after rabbits for friends, they usually live in a garage. I have housed them in a large dog enclosure and used gym mat tiles with newspaper and plastic underneath for flooring (I bought this because I want to get house rabbits).

The problem is they are eating the foam from the tiles, (definitely eating rather than just chewing). Has anyone had this problem, what can I replace the flooring with?
    Last edited by MrBunnsey; 15-03-2017 at 01:54 PM.

Wise Old Thumper

How big is the area? Lino is a very popular floor covering. Good luck!

It's about 1.5m x 1m, so not huge, they have access to the rest of the room when supervised. I have some lino, but I'm concerned that they will eat through that too, I thought I fixed the problem by giving them distraction toys, then I caught one of them really tearing through the tiles. I can get hold of some hardwood plywood from a local builders merchant (local petshops have not been helpful), I could cover that with cardboard, just not sure it's rabbit safe.

Wise Old Thumper

I've had one or 2 rabbits nibble lino with no problems, mostly they don't bother with it, but it's better than eating foam. You have to watch cardboard also, they will definitely eat it and it can cause a blockage. If you can get a piece of plywood that would be better. Do they have hay to chew?

Young Bun

Didn't know that cardboard would cause a blockage, I've put cardboard in over where they've chewed the limo to stop them chewing it anymore as I knew the Lino wouldn't do them any good. Mind you there is loads of shredded cardboard so I don't know if they just shred it or eat it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warren Scout

Deleted
    Last edited by CrispyClaret; 19-03-2017 at 08:50 AM.

Treacle is a real destructabun, she is fine on Lino, unless she can get to the edge and then nibbles it !
    [IMG][/IMG]

I use carpet tiles - rare the girls dig/eat them.
    Hope you find a solution soon.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    Suzuki SV650S for sale ; 16647 miles ; 2012 plate ; full service 200 miles ago ; new tires put on 1600 miles ago ; selling due to health problems ; full ad here: https://www.gumtree.com/p/suzuki-mot...mot/1225750811

Lino. You should be able to get an offcut really cheap too.

Thanks for your replies. I put some wooden boards down. The chewing behavior has stopped, I wonder if it was because they were stressed by the sudden move. They seem really happy now, this evening they've been charging around and doing binkies.