• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Tooth Spurs - When to act?

TheThreeB's

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Our new boy Ziggy had his rhd2 jab today and a general check up. It turns out he has some tooth spurs (which I think must have been missed by the rescues vet, idk). Today's vet said its a question of when to do something about them.

We could get them sorted a.s.a.p or observe the situation and act if we notice any drooling or eating issues.

Any advice appreciated, thank you x

Apparently most rabbits have a spur or two and they may never suffer with them, so I would wait until you see signs of him eating oddly or not eating, but it really is up to you. Others may say differently. :D If you decide to go ahead don't forget to give the vaccine time to become established. About 3 weeks.

If the existing spurs don't seem to be an issue, I would monitor his weight weekly and get his teeth looked at again in maybe a month, then take it from there. You may not need to do anything but monitor. You know there is a potential for teeth problems, so watch out for signs of eating differently (drooling, eating less hay or hard pellets, etc), weight loss over a couple of weeks, reduced poo output, etc. Anything else that makes them a bit off colour may allow the spurs to grow further and become an issue. Consistent weight loss and bigger spurs would prompt me to get the spurs sorted sooner - while the rabbit is still fit and in a better condition for an anaesthetic. It's not normally a big deal and they usually bounce back very quickly.

If the existing spurs don't seem to be an issue, I would monitor his weight weekly and get his teeth looked at again in maybe a month, then take it from there. You may not need to do anything but monitor. You know there is a potential for teeth problems, so watch out for signs of eating differently (drooling, eating less hay or hard pellets, etc), weight loss over a couple of weeks, reduced poo output, etc. Anything else that makes them a bit off colour may allow the spurs to grow further and become an issue. Consistent weight loss and bigger spurs would prompt me to get the spurs sorted sooner - while the rabbit is still fit and in a better condition for an anaesthetic. It's not normally a big deal and they usually bounce back very quickly.

I cant add anything more to that other than to make sure that he has a good hay based diet with the opportunity to graze on fresh grass if possible :)

Apparently most rabbits have a spur or two and they may never suffer with them, so I would wait until you see signs of him eating oddly or not eating, but it really is up to you. Others may say differently. :D If you decide to go ahead don't forget to give the vaccine time to become established. About 3 weeks.

Tonibun has given good advice :D

The vaccine will become fully effective after one week, and two weeks after RHD2 is generally recognised as OK. Though of course you can wait longer :)

If it helps, Daphne has had dental spurs since she was 8 weeks of age, she's now almost 2 years and she's never once had an issue with them.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, it sounds like monitoring the situation for now is probably the way to go.

He's pretty good with his hay, Jane, when he takes a break from humping lol. Plan is to get an enclosure sorted outside so they can go on the grass too x

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, it sounds like monitoring the situation for now is probably the way to go.

He's pretty good with his hay, Jane, when he takes a break from humping lol. Plan is to get an enclosure sorted outside so they can go on the grass too x

:shock:

.........Bucks :roll:

:lol:

It sounds like he'll have lots of assistance with keeping his spurs under control :)

Back