Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FIRST TIME RABBIT OWNERS 3.5 months old boy & girl rabbit now running away from us

Now my question is...what is the point of having rabbit if you cannot play with them?

My kids are very happy either way but I would rather have a cat or a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Easter&Bolt View Post
    Now my question is...what is the point of having rabbit if you cannot play with them?

Rabbits aren't like dogs - they don't want to play with humans - or if they do, not for very long and on their terms.

That's the deal when taking on a rabbit - now you understand why so many end up in Rescue

I don't mean to sound harsh in any way.. But you don't just get pets for playing with. Pets are meant to become part of the family and live a happy life in their forever home. Like mm says, so many people just don't do any research on rabbits and always think of cute cuddly rabbits that like to be cuddled, unfortunately this is not the case and so many poor bunnies end up being forgotten about and mis cared for.. But thank god for rescues who do an amazing job! Rabbits have such cheeky little personalities though and there is nothing more satisfying than seeing pairs of bunnies being happy, playing and sleeping together. They will interact with you over time but maybe just give them time and let them come to you when their ready
    Rest in peace my beautiful fur babies - Tango, Whiskey, Harvey & Honey **Forever in my heart**

Fair enough. I always had dogs and cats and they have always being considered as part of the family, but I am probabily too familiar with that type of interaction.
    As you said as long as they are happy I am happy but I have always spent lots of time with all my pets as I never wanted them to feel lonely or unloved.
    I just need to adjust my attitude toowards them with their point of view...I will spend more time lying on the floor 😜

Wise Old Thumper

Oh dear - sounds as though you've perhaps made the wrong choice of pet then. Rabbits aren't playthings. In a way you get out of it what you put in - the more you just sit with rabbits, talk to them and allow them to interact in their own way, the more pleasure you will get out of having them.
    Rabbits do not make good pets for children - although they are often sold as such - as they tend to get bored, but it sounds as though you are bored already. Perhaps as you get to know them, you'll come to appreciate them for the enchanting, funny, naughty animals they are.
    I can't remember, now, what their accommodation is when they are shut away. The recommended housing size is a hutch (or equivalent) measuring at least 6ft X 2ft with permanent access to an attached run of 8ft X 6ft X 3ft high, so they are never shut in the hutch.

Nethies aren't really known for their sedateness! So they are unlikely to be cuddle bunnies. Most bunnies aren't. Out of the five I've had only one was a cuddle bunny and that was only after he was ill. My Nutmeg who had some nethie in her was not at all a cuddle bunny!
    As others have pointed out with bunnies you have to do things on their terms, and gain their trust.

Photos: Mischa/Mini/Nutmeg/Smudge/Imogen/Instagram Housing Stickies: Indoor/Outdoor

Warren Scout

Well its great that you came onto the forum to find out about your new pets. The point of rabbits, in my opinion, is that they are so CUTE. And funny and beautiful....
    Today I opened the door of the shed/run, put a fence round and let them out. They came out into the sunshine and ate the grass, lots of binkys, ears up and down, a real pleasure to watch. Actually very distracting when I'm supposed to be working.
    I'd give it time, keep interacting with them and they'll get to trust you. My nethie cross Piper doesn't like being picked up at all, but he comes over to me and will climb up me given half a chance. In fact none of mine are keen on being held.

Quote Originally Posted by CometLucy195 View Post
    Well its great that you came onto the forum to find out about your new pets. The point of rabbits, in my opinion, is that they are so CUTE. And funny and beautiful....
    Today I opened the door of the shed/run, put a fence round and let them out. They came out into the sunshine and ate the grass, lots of binkys, ears up and down, a real pleasure to watch. Actually very distracting when I'm supposed to be working.
    I'd give it time, keep interacting with them and they'll get to trust you. My nethie cross Piper doesn't like being picked up at all, but he comes over to me and will climb up me given half a chance. In fact none of mine are keen on being held.
    I second them being distracting!

Well, I have been to the vet and we seem to be safe. The boy is booked in for a little operation and all will be good.

At this stage I believe that the rabbit were offended for leaving them alone.
    They are happy to be cuddled within their cage, but when they are out and about they prefer to be left alone.

I agree that they are cute and they are fun to look at, however I still miss the interaction that you have with a dog.

My kids are determined to make partecipate to a jumping competition...lets see if they will be willing to be trained.