• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vibes for neuter please.

Sammysdct

Young Bun
Our little boy Mr. Cuddles is going in for his neuter today.

I (and my girls) are rather nervous after what happened with Lolly Hop. My 7 year old keeps asking if he's going to die. I can only tell her that its very unlikely, but then it was very unlikely that Lolly Hop would die after her spay. I still miss that rabbit and it was only last week that she came of school in tears again over her. Not sure how we'd cope if anything happened, but its got to be done. My foot needs a break from his humping.

We're using a different vet this time, as I've heard some negative things about the last one since New year, (funny how you only hear the bad after you've experienced it). This one has been recommended to me, albeit by a general animal lover, with many friends with animals rather than a rabbit nut. She personally knows of people with good stories about rabbits there though.

Would appreciate some vibes for smooth sailing.

Thanks.

Sending lots of vibes for Mr Cuddles :thumb: understandably you will be worried, but it's very rare for anything to go wrong, and a neuter is a lot less involved than a spay. I'm sure he will be fine :thumb:

I hope you've got lots of things to keep you busy today :thumb:

Sending loads of vibes for Mr Cuddles. I can understand how difficult this is for you and also your daughter and I'm sure you will both be very relieved when he is able to come home.

Thanks everyone. I have got plenty to do, like cleaning my living room carpet from where he's been a naughty boy. I'm using this opportunity to start again with his litter training. Should be much easier with the hormones gone.

He's in now, but I'm due to go back and pick him up at half 11.

When I asked about leaving a water bowl for him the vet said "He won't need it, as soon as he's awake enough to start eating & drinking, you can take him home". Different to what I'm used to, but it will be much nicer for him to recover at home rather than in a strange place surrounded by the smell of predators.

Strangely enough I bumped into the lady who recommended this vet to me there this morrning - she's having one of her male cats done. I'm taking this as a good sign.

Plus I get him back soon. :)

Our little boy Mr. Cuddles is going in for his neuter today.

I (and my girls) are rather nervous after what happened with Lolly Hop. My 7 year old keeps asking if he's going to die. I can only tell her that its very unlikely, but then it was very unlikely that Lolly Hop would die after her spay. I still miss that rabbit and it was only last week that she came of school in tears again over her. Not sure how we'd cope if anything happened, but its got to be done. My foot needs a break from his humping.

We're using a different vet this time, as I've heard some negative things about the last one since New year, (funny how you only hear the bad after you've experienced it). This one has been recommended to me, albeit by a general animal lover, with many friends with animals rather than a rabbit nut. She personally knows of people with good stories about rabbits there though.

Would appreciate some vibes for smooth sailing.

Thanks.

Loads and loads of vibes :)

It's always a worry, no matter how good the vet. But I'm glad you've changed vet to one you trust more :)

He didn't make it...

:cry:

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

Sadly Mr C, didn't make it. I have absolutely no idea what went wrong.

He came home yesterday afternoon, and seemed ok. He ate, he drank. I left him be, but checked on him regularly. He showed an interest in me & being stroked when I checked on him. I noticed that he had been around different parts of his cage. He was weeing and pooing.

So I went to bed after a final check at about 11. I wake up at 6:00am to find him on his side dead.
It has been a total shock, & I've spent most of the day trying to work out how to break the news to my girls, particularly Amie, the sensitive one.

Went down the route of saying that Lolly Hop was getting lonely, so Mr Cuddles has gone to join her in bunny heaven to get married.

Seemed to have worked, as she is not anywhere near as distraught this time. No howls of anguish, which I was expecting, only tears.

I just don't have any words to describe how I'm feeling right now. Think I'm still numb from the shock.

Thank you for your vibes, sadly it wasn't the outcome we were expecting.

Oh no :cry: How awful for you :cry: I am so very sorry. I don't know what to say other than that I am thinking of you and your family and sending you all hugs xx

Back