• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Male rabbit urinating when there is food around

Bonnie's Maw

New Kit
Hello :) This is my first post, I hope someone can help! I have two rabbits, Boris and Bonnie who are house rabbits and both have been neutered. Boris is a 4 year old German lop and is the dominant one of the pair.
He has always got over-excited when it comes to food. Before feeding times he starts to push bonnie around, putting his head under her belly and shoving her out the way. He then lunges at his food bowl as I put it down and has accidentally bitten me a few times.
In recent months, he has started to urinate in places closest to where he thinks food is. For example, on the floor outside the fridge, outside the kitchen door, outside the cupboard door where hay is kept etc. One time I was sitting on the sofa eating some mango and he peed on my feet.
He is litter box trained and uses it at all other times. This has become a daily problem and I don't know how to stop him urinating everywhere, except from keeping him in his run but that means keeping Bonnie locked up too. I don't suspect health problems as he seems fine otherwise, but he does have a check up with the vet soon so I intend to bring this up to them. Any advice is much appreciated!

You could try wiping up the wee and cleaning then neutralise with vinegar/water mixture, that might discourage him from marking the same spots again:thumb:

I always clean with vinegar as soon as he's done it and it's usually on wooden floor so it's cleaned and dried straight away but doesn't seem to bother him. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Back