• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is it okay (elderly bunny living outside)

shadow05

Mama Doe
Hi guys its been a while hasnt it.

Anyways just to refresh you guys basically my bunny boy is called scooter some of you may remeber some of you might not but anyways. Scooter is a 8 year oldish dwarf lop fairly fit for his age. I have recently been given the chance by some one i know who could give him a good home for the rest of his life which as much as i always promised and for the first time in my life with any of pets am considering this and only because circumstances of both sides are unfortunately forcing it.

Recently ive switched from a part time job to a full time job and even thought i still get time with him its not as much as id like and i feel like im neglecting him. As well as this i have to move out of my moms in the next few months and finding a flat or even a home that is in my price range and will allow for him is not going down very well at all.

My real question here basically is given his age i am wanting to know if it is possible for him to become a outdoor bunny after being an indoor rabbit most of his life. I know that it would most likely have to be done in warmer weather like summer. As well as this he has in past had a problems with his feet sores basically im woundering if this will make it worser.

The lady in question that im thinking of rehoming him to. I know will give him a good life. Weve talked and shes even considering getting him a friend as well, most likely a girl friend (dont worry scooter had snip when he was a year old) so no babies and she is aware of this.

Her dad works with rspca and they also own owls, cats and even a hamster.

Shes promised to keep me up to date with him and send me pics occastionally which is good. Ive also asked that if she ever has to get rid of him that she gives him back to me, which hopefully by then ill be in a better situation.

So basically to summerise my question is it safe for him to become an outdoor bunny after all this time?

Please let me know in comments down below

Thanks kate

To me, the only way that would be acceptable is if he were definitely bonded with a spayed female and had a large hutch with permanent access to an attached run, both to RWAF standard). As you say it would have to be a good deal warmer. Can't help re feet I'm afraid.

No im not sure but as things stand right now its not fair on him and as hard as it is for me to let him go i cant just think about myself. Its whats best for him, even thought it will break my heart. Ive had him since he was 8 week old i know all his little and weird quirks. I never thought in all these years that ive had him it would end up coming down to this and as bad as it sounds i didnt expect for him to live this long.

At moment shes extactic over been given chance. She was going to get a young rabbit from pets at home but when i joked to her about adopting him. She was all for it lol i explained how much of a hand full he was when he was young.

Ive explained as well that it would have to be a pairing with a female thats spyde and roughly same age. Also housing and ect. Also told her that hopefully they would also advise her that young rabbits cant be outside yet in this weather also if i remeber rightly they have to be at least 6 months. Probably got that wolring anyways.

What do u mean by re feet?

You said he had sore feet in the past and I was commenting that I couldn't help with advice on whether that would have any bearing on moving him outside.
Again, I wouldn't even consider it if the bonding wasn't a definite.

You said he had sore feet in the past and I was commenting that I couldn't help with advice on whether that would have any bearing on moving him outside.
Again, I wouldn't even consider it if the bonding wasn't a definite.

Oh right sorry i get you i was thinking more like with humidity and substrate but now that i think about it shudnt be much differrnt. I panic sometimes over little things sorry lol.

She more than likely will but hed be on his own for a little while. While settling in, to many things for him at once might not agree with him. Ill more than likely say to her that ill keep him until its warm when he will be able to go out then. I probably wont have to move out until about august which is around 5 month away.

At end of day if shes still interested by then hes not going anyways and she knows where he is. Theres not many people i would consider just handing my pets over to. Im a firm believer that pets are for life not just for xmas ( u know what i mean). I hate that it might have to come to this with him. Hes my oldest living pet apart from the family dog.

I can't help think how lonely and confused he'll be if not only does he suddenly lose you but he gets moved from indoors and the room he knows, to a different set-up outside and alone. Doesn't sit right with me at all I'm afraid. Lots of people with rabbits work full-time - as long he has plenty of space and things to keep him occupied, and you give him attention when you fry home, he'll be ok.

I am a bit late to this, but I tend to agree with Babsie in that homing him to be a single outdoor Rabbit would not be appropriate and not something most reputable Rescues would endorse. The living outdoors is not such a big deal in itself, if the transition is done at an appropriate time of year and the accommodation is large, well insulated and free from damp and exposure to the elements.As Scooter has a history of sore feet then obviously extra care would be needed re the substrate he has access to. HOWEVER, it is the being alone which, IMO, is not acceptable. I would have thought that your friend's Father would be mindful of that fact as he 'works for the RSPCA'.

As your friend keeps Owls would she be able to insure that Scooter was kept well away from them. Owls are predators, Rabbits are prey. On top of lots of changes Scooter would be terrified living in close proximity to Owls.

If rehoming Scooter is your only option I would contact some local Rescues to try to get him onto a Waiting List of intakes. A reputable Rescue would insure that he went to a home that met the current Rabbit Welfare guidelines, including having company of another Rabbit if he were to have to live outdoors.

I hope that you can sort something out, good luck :)

Is he used to going outside at all for a run round the garden for instance? If not I think the change from indoors to outside, at his age, would be a lot for him to adjust to. He might not be able to adjust. It's so different being outside, different noises etc. He would probably feel scared. Rabbits can can set in their ways so it will be a big risk. Also he would miss the company he has been used to. It would be better if he could be bonded with another rabbit before going to a new home.

I can't help think how lonely and confused he'll be if not only does he suddenly lose you but he gets moved from indoors and the room he knows, to a different set-up outside and alone. Doesn't sit right with me at all I'm afraid. Lots of people with rabbits work full-time - as long he has plenty of space and things to keep him occupied, and you give him attention when you fry home, he'll be ok.

I agree. I have 8 year old single rabbits that have always lived indoors and I can't imagine putting one of them outside all on his own for any amount of time. As prey animals this would be really scary for everything to suddenly change AND for him to be alone as well. If he were bonded to another rabbit my answer would likely be different as they would have each other for support.

I know what u mean but she is very hands on with her pets. Hes probably gonna get sick of her constantly being there lol hes one of those bunnies that just basically likes to do his own thing. He lets u know when he wants attention lol hes always been same. He doesnt like being picked up at all so ive always respected his wishes.

The whole full time work thing isnt my main reason its mostly the fact that their arent many places that will allow pets. Ive been keeping an eye out for about 4 month now checking every property in my price range and areas that are close to work ect but there are not many that i see.

Yea the owls have like their own avaries at bottom of garden. He would be well away from them in regards to homes. Shes shown me the garden and it quite big. She is well aware that bunnies and owls shud never mix at all under any circumstance. She knows that if she has the owls out then his hutch has to be covered and she cant have them around his home.

I really hate that it might be coming down to this and with regards to rescues id rather find him his new home. For my own peace of mind, selfish i know but i suffer from anxiety and knowing the people he will be given to would be easier on me as well as him.

To be fair with how she is he would probably start off in like a mansion of a hutch have like a seperate pen somewhere else in garden or connected to the hutch then hed probably end up having like a pen/avary sort of home made for him.

Oh and her dad works in a call center for rspca sorry i forgot to mention that. He deals with like the bird side of things if u get what what i mean. He handles the calls pertaining to birds and wildlife.

Yea the owls have like their own avaries at bottom of garden. He would be well away from them in regards to homes. Shes shown me the garden and it quite big. She is well aware that bunnies and owls shud never mix at all under any circumstance. She knows that if she has the owls out then his hutch has to be covered and she cant have them around his home.

I really hate that it might be coming down to this and with regards to rescues id rather find him his new home. For my own peace of mind, selfish i know but i suffer from anxiety and knowing the people he will be given to would be easier on me as well as him.

To be fair with how she is he would probably start off in like a mansion of a hutch have like a seperate pen somewhere else in garden or connected to the hutch then hed probably end up having like a pen/avary sort of home made for him.

Oh and her dad works in a call center for rspca sorry i forgot to mention that. He deals with like the bird side of things if u get what what i mean. He handles the calls pertaining to birds and wildlife.

TBH I wouldn't rehome him to anyone who would keep him outside alone, or even with a partner if he hasn't got at least a hutch and attached run. Why not try to rehome him as a house bunny as that is what he is used to ? You can post in rabbits in need on here and also on rabbit rehome to try to find a suitable home.

Oh hes been outside before a good few times unfortunately given my area i dont trust him being outside on his own or hed spend more time out there. But when the weathers nice and i have a day off ill take him outside for half an hour or so.

Unfortunately when weathers out bees and wasps are out as well and im really scared of them lol.

If id had the choice he would have had company along time ago but unfortunately living with my mom its always been a no 😑.

I have this weekend off as well so im going to be rebuilding his pen back up been meaning to do it for ages but new job and stuff. Xmas was hecktic as well. Not had much time. Just so u know i was told to get a cage and put him back in it by my vets because of his feet. Sounds silly i know but its worked.

Basically the flooring of his pen didnt have enough paddy and even though i thought it was okay turns out it was too abrasive. Also that mixed with the fact that he was drinking and weeing more at the time was not helping. Hes not so long since gotten better in regards to drinking and that. Ive also changed his substrate over to megazorb as he was on wood shavings. I have also upped his cleaning schedule to every 3 days.

Also if i sound ignorant or anything on here. I dont mean too at all.

Its just that we all have our own way of keeping our bunnies and our opions. Plus i really dont explain very well sometimes and i know that without meaning to people can get wrong impression on something ive said when its not meant like that at all.

So sorry for that in advance.

TBH I wouldn't rehome him to anyone who would keep him outside alone, or even with a partner if he hasn't got at least a hutch and attached run. Why not try to rehome him as a house bunny as that is what he is used to ? You can post in rabbits in need on here and also on rabbit rehome to try to find a suitable home.

I agree.

Sorry i sort of forgot about this thread being here.

Just a quick update basically shes getting a rescue bunny a girly from an rspca sancutary going to be picking here up next week.

Ive had a chat with her told her whats been said on here. Weve come to decision so far that for now ill keep a hold of him as it still is too cold for him to be out. I probably wont be moving until june anyways. Which shud be nice warmish weather for him.

Im going to try my best to get a pet friendly home but in the event that it doesnt work out we are going to try and bond her bunny with my boy. See how they get on. If they do good together he will stay with her. If not then other arrangements will have to be made for him or if like i said above i find the right place he will stay with me.

Ive told her once she has him and it rolls around to winter she most likely may have to bring him in for a month or 2 until the worst weather blows through.

In all honest i think he will be fine my bedroom gets fairly cold in winter and this is coming from someone who prefers cold as well.

Back