Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it okay (elderly bunny living outside)

Wise Old Thumper

I am a bit late to this, but I tend to agree with Babsie in that homing him to be a single outdoor Rabbit would not be appropriate and not something most reputable Rescues would endorse. The living outdoors is not such a big deal in itself, if the transition is done at an appropriate time of year and the accommodation is large, well insulated and free from damp and exposure to the elements.As Scooter has a history of sore feet then obviously extra care would be needed re the substrate he has access to. HOWEVER, it is the being alone which, IMO, is not acceptable. I would have thought that your friend's Father would be mindful of that fact as he 'works for the RSPCA'.

As your friend keeps Owls would she be able to insure that Scooter was kept well away from them. Owls are predators, Rabbits are prey. On top of lots of changes Scooter would be terrified living in close proximity to Owls.

If rehoming Scooter is your only option I would contact some local Rescues to try to get him onto a Waiting List of intakes. A reputable Rescue would insure that he went to a home that met the current Rabbit Welfare guidelines, including having company of another Rabbit if he were to have to live outdoors.

I hope that you can sort something out, good luck

Wise Old Thumper

Is he used to going outside at all for a run round the garden for instance? If not I think the change from indoors to outside, at his age, would be a lot for him to adjust to. He might not be able to adjust. It's so different being outside, different noises etc. He would probably feel scared. Rabbits can can set in their ways so it will be a big risk. Also he would miss the company he has been used to. It would be better if he could be bonded with another rabbit before going to a new home.

Quote Originally Posted by Babsie View Post
    I can't help think how lonely and confused he'll be if not only does he suddenly lose you but he gets moved from indoors and the room he knows, to a different set-up outside and alone. Doesn't sit right with me at all I'm afraid. Lots of people with rabbits work full-time - as long he has plenty of space and things to keep him occupied, and you give him attention when you fry home, he'll be ok.
    I agree. I have 8 year old single rabbits that have always lived indoors and I can't imagine putting one of them outside all on his own for any amount of time. As prey animals this would be really scary for everything to suddenly change AND for him to be alone as well. If he were bonded to another rabbit my answer would likely be different as they would have each other for support.

Quote Originally Posted by Babsie View Post
    I can't help think how lonely and confused he'll be if not only does he suddenly lose you but he gets moved from indoors and the room he knows, to a different set-up outside and alone. Doesn't sit right with me at all I'm afraid. Lots of people with rabbits work full-time - as long he has plenty of space and things to keep him occupied, and you give him attention when you fry home, he'll be ok.
    I know what u mean but she is very hands on with her pets. Hes probably gonna get sick of her constantly being there lol hes one of those bunnies that just basically likes to do his own thing. He lets u know when he wants attention lol hes always been same. He doesnt like being picked up at all so ive always respected his wishes.

The whole full time work thing isnt my main reason its mostly the fact that their arent many places that will allow pets. Ive been keeping an eye out for about 4 month now checking every property in my price range and areas that are close to work ect but there are not many that i see.

Yea the owls have like their own avaries at bottom of garden. He would be well away from them in regards to homes. Shes shown me the garden and it quite big. She is well aware that bunnies and owls shud never mix at all under any circumstance. She knows that if she has the owls out then his hutch has to be covered and she cant have them around his home.

I really hate that it might be coming down to this and with regards to rescues id rather find him his new home. For my own peace of mind, selfish i know but i suffer from anxiety and knowing the people he will be given to would be easier on me as well as him.

To be fair with how she is he would probably start off in like a mansion of a hutch have like a seperate pen somewhere else in garden or connected to the hutch then hed probably end up having like a pen/avary sort of home made for him.

Oh and her dad works in a call center for rspca sorry i forgot to mention that. He deals with like the bird side of things if u get what what i mean. He handles the calls pertaining to birds and wildlife.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow05 View Post
    Yea the owls have like their own avaries at bottom of garden. He would be well away from them in regards to homes. Shes shown me the garden and it quite big. She is well aware that bunnies and owls shud never mix at all under any circumstance. She knows that if she has the owls out then his hutch has to be covered and she cant have them around his home.

I really hate that it might be coming down to this and with regards to rescues id rather find him his new home. For my own peace of mind, selfish i know but i suffer from anxiety and knowing the people he will be given to would be easier on me as well as him.

To be fair with how she is he would probably start off in like a mansion of a hutch have like a seperate pen somewhere else in garden or connected to the hutch then hed probably end up having like a pen/avary sort of home made for him.

Oh and her dad works in a call center for rspca sorry i forgot to mention that. He deals with like the bird side of things if u get what what i mean. He handles the calls pertaining to birds and wildlife.
    TBH I wouldn't rehome him to anyone who would keep him outside alone, or even with a partner if he hasn't got at least a hutch and attached run. Why not try to rehome him as a house bunny as that is what he is used to ? You can post in rabbits in need on here and also on rabbit rehome to try to find a suitable home.

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Oh hes been outside before a good few times unfortunately given my area i dont trust him being outside on his own or hed spend more time out there. But when the weathers nice and i have a day off ill take him outside for half an hour or so.

Unfortunately when weathers out bees and wasps are out as well and im really scared of them lol.

If id had the choice he would have had company along time ago but unfortunately living with my mom its always been a no 😑.

I have this weekend off as well so im going to be rebuilding his pen back up been meaning to do it for ages but new job and stuff. Xmas was hecktic as well. Not had much time. Just so u know i was told to get a cage and put him back in it by my vets because of his feet. Sounds silly i know but its worked.

Basically the flooring of his pen didnt have enough paddy and even though i thought it was okay turns out it was too abrasive. Also that mixed with the fact that he was drinking and weeing more at the time was not helping. Hes not so long since gotten better in regards to drinking and that. Ive also changed his substrate over to megazorb as he was on wood shavings. I have also upped his cleaning schedule to every 3 days.

Also if i sound ignorant or anything on here. I dont mean too at all.

Its just that we all have our own way of keeping our bunnies and our opions. Plus i really dont explain very well sometimes and i know that without meaning to people can get wrong impression on something ive said when its not meant like that at all.

So sorry for that in advance.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    TBH I wouldn't rehome him to anyone who would keep him outside alone, or even with a partner if he hasn't got at least a hutch and attached run. Why not try to rehome him as a house bunny as that is what he is used to ? You can post in rabbits in need on here and also on rabbit rehome to try to find a suitable home.
    I agree.

Sorry i sort of forgot about this thread being here.

Just a quick update basically shes getting a rescue bunny a girly from an rspca sancutary going to be picking here up next week.

Ive had a chat with her told her whats been said on here. Weve come to decision so far that for now ill keep a hold of him as it still is too cold for him to be out. I probably wont be moving until june anyways. Which shud be nice warmish weather for him.

Im going to try my best to get a pet friendly home but in the event that it doesnt work out we are going to try and bond her bunny with my boy. See how they get on. If they do good together he will stay with her. If not then other arrangements will have to be made for him or if like i said above i find the right place he will stay with me.

Ive told her once she has him and it rolls around to winter she most likely may have to bring him in for a month or 2 until the worst weather blows through.

In all honest i think he will be fine my bedroom gets fairly cold in winter and this is coming from someone who prefers cold as well.