Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it okay (elderly bunny living outside)

Default Is it okay (elderly bunny living outside)

Hi guys its been a while hasnt it.

Anyways just to refresh you guys basically my bunny boy is called scooter some of you may remeber some of you might not but anyways. Scooter is a 8 year oldish dwarf lop fairly fit for his age. I have recently been given the chance by some one i know who could give him a good home for the rest of his life which as much as i always promised and for the first time in my life with any of pets am considering this and only because circumstances of both sides are unfortunately forcing it.

Recently ive switched from a part time job to a full time job and even thought i still get time with him its not as much as id like and i feel like im neglecting him. As well as this i have to move out of my moms in the next few months and finding a flat or even a home that is in my price range and will allow for him is not going down very well at all.

My real question here basically is given his age i am wanting to know if it is possible for him to become a outdoor bunny after being an indoor rabbit most of his life. I know that it would most likely have to be done in warmer weather like summer. As well as this he has in past had a problems with his feet sores basically im woundering if this will make it worser.

The lady in question that im thinking of rehoming him to. I know will give him a good life. Weve talked and shes even considering getting him a friend as well, most likely a girl friend (dont worry scooter had snip when he was a year old) so no babies and she is aware of this.

Her dad works with rspca and they also own owls, cats and even a hamster.

Shes promised to keep me up to date with him and send me pics occastionally which is good. Ive also asked that if she ever has to get rid of him that she gives him back to me, which hopefully by then ill be in a better situation.

So basically to summerise my question is it safe for him to become an outdoor bunny after all this time?

Please let me know in comments down below

Thanks kate

Also i am sorry to admin if this post is in wrong place wasnt entirely sure where to put it

Wise Old Thumper

To me, the only way that would be acceptable is if he were definitely bonded with a spayed female and had a large hutch with permanent access to an attached run, both to RWAF standard). As you say it would have to be a good deal warmer. Can't help re feet I'm afraid.

Wise Old Thumper

Didn't you used to have a lot of rabbits - or do I have the wrong person?

No im not sure but as things stand right now its not fair on him and as hard as it is for me to let him go i cant just think about myself. Its whats best for him, even thought it will break my heart. Ive had him since he was 8 week old i know all his little and weird quirks. I never thought in all these years that ive had him it would end up coming down to this and as bad as it sounds i didnt expect for him to live this long.

At moment shes extactic over been given chance. She was going to get a young rabbit from pets at home but when i joked to her about adopting him. She was all for it lol i explained how much of a hand full he was when he was young.

Ive explained as well that it would have to be a pairing with a female thats spyde and roughly same age. Also housing and ect. Also told her that hopefully they would also advise her that young rabbits cant be outside yet in this weather also if i remeber rightly they have to be at least 6 months. Probably got that wolring anyways.

No ive always had just the one lol

What do u mean by re feet?

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by shadow05 View Post
    What do u mean by re feet?
    You said he had sore feet in the past and I was commenting that I couldn't help with advice on whether that would have any bearing on moving him outside.
    Again, I wouldn't even consider it if the bonding wasn't a definite.

Quote Originally Posted by Babsie View Post
    You said he had sore feet in the past and I was commenting that I couldn't help with advice on whether that would have any bearing on moving him outside.
    Again, I wouldn't even consider it if the bonding wasn't a definite.
    Oh right sorry i get you i was thinking more like with humidity and substrate but now that i think about it shudnt be much differrnt. I panic sometimes over little things sorry lol.

She more than likely will but hed be on his own for a little while. While settling in, to many things for him at once might not agree with him. Ill more than likely say to her that ill keep him until its warm when he will be able to go out then. I probably wont have to move out until about august which is around 5 month away.

At end of day if shes still interested by then hes not going anyways and she knows where he is. Theres not many people i would consider just handing my pets over to. Im a firm believer that pets are for life not just for xmas ( u know what i mean). I hate that it might have to come to this with him. Hes my oldest living pet apart from the family dog.

Wise Old Thumper

I can't help think how lonely and confused he'll be if not only does he suddenly lose you but he gets moved from indoors and the room he knows, to a different set-up outside and alone. Doesn't sit right with me at all I'm afraid. Lots of people with rabbits work full-time - as long he has plenty of space and things to keep him occupied, and you give him attention when you fry home, he'll be ok.