• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is this enough space for my 2 bunnies?

bunnies95

Young Bun
i've been trying my best to ensure i give my buns the best home i can, i live in a 2 bedroom flat with my nan so we dont have a huge amount of space, the bunnies stay in my room as we have a dog and its safe and they are away from her, i have a 2 level hutch and i have parts of a playpen i have used to section off parts of my room so they cant get under my bed and chew any wires, this is temporary as if its okay i will get better playpen to section off the room, they would have the floor space all day but i will put it away at night and keep them in their hutch until morning.

is this okay? https://www.flickr.com/photos/152839559@N08/32582466814/in/dateposted-public/ the whole floor space you see is what they have

Last edited:
Looks a nice enough area but they might find the floor a bit slippy and I wouldn't leave that black plastic bag in with them.

Just a bit confused as to why they need to be shut away at night if they can have it every other time? The hutch isn't enough at all during the night and I think they might be frustrated to go in there each night after having that space for the day. I know you said it's temporary but I thought I'd say it anyway.

Lovely space for them with the pen though :)

i've been trying my best to ensure i give my buns the best home i can, i live in a 2 bedroom flat with my nan so we dont have a huge amount of space, the bunnies stay in my room as we have a dog and its safe and they are away from her, i have a 2 level hutch and i have parts of a playpen i have used to section off parts of my room so they cant get under my bed and chew any wires, this is temporary as if its okay i will get better playpen to section off the room, they would have the floor space all day but i will put it away at night and keep them in their hutch until morning.

is this okay? https://www.flickr.com/photos/152839559@N08/32582466814/in/dateposted-public/ the whole floor space you see is what they have

I hope they don't ruin that lovely floor with a couple of inadvertent wees or anything :)

It's a lovely big space - a few Ikea rugs thrown down for traction might be a good idea. Hopefully you can leave them out a lot of the time and give them toys such as cardboard boxes and tunnels?

It looks good so long as they aren't shut in the hutch at any time, they need permanent access to the other area to exercise, as rabbits are active during the night too. the rwaf recommends a minimum of a 6ftx2ft hutch with a permanently attached accessible run of 8ftx6ft which is 60sqft.

Looks great. I agree with others that it would be best to leave them out all night as well. Rabbits are most active at dawn and dusk and will appreciate their run.

It is lovely that you can have them in your room. I am sure you will get a really strong bond with them that way.

thanks for the advise, they were shut in a night as one of bunny can out and go under my bed and to the wires, but i've just got a new pen so they can stay out all the time :)

I have no helpful advise other than it looks great, but I had to laugh at your photo as bun is clearly plotting whether they can jump onto the heater...:lol:

Hi there,

I have a similar set up to you but we have it in our lounge. We have a regular a wooden hutch, not two levels thoufh and then we use a pen to extend Buns hutch space. The pen covers up wires and behind the sofa where I don't want Bun to go.

In the evening, bun is not only let into the pen but able to roam free around the house. At night, for his own protection I put him back in his hutch until morning. He seems to like this routine now and I've never seen him suffer for being in his hutch at night as long as I give him something to do.

Outside the hutch and in the pen, I have popped a rug down as we have laminate flooring. Bun loves a soft cushioning underneath. He still slips when he runs on the laminate but when he was young, having the additional carpeting definitely helped. His favourite spot is under the table on the circle fluffy rug. So I would definitely recommend some kind of rug even if it's small.

Back