• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The hawthorn is in bud!

Karen's

Mama Doe
W'hey! Won't be long now, the hawthorn near me is in bud, my bunnies love it!
Let the hawthorn monitoring begin..... Feeling impatient already!

It's a lovely time of the year with so many positive signs of spring. We have several Hawthorn bushes/trees and each year notice that some of them (the same ones) come into leaf earlier than others.

I hope your leaves are appreciated when they appear:)

We've noticed the hawthorn, apple, maple and willow in bud... the willow has already got small leaves. Can't wait to start foraging again.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

A large weeping willow near me has leaves on now. It is in a really public place. I long to chop bits off!

Will have to go out nice and early one morning.

Never leave home without your secuters, that's my motto from now until end of summer :thumb:

My sons school has a growing willow tunnel which they severely pruned last week, I asked if I could take some of them for the buns, I had no idea how big the prunings were, what I must have looked like struggling back home with ten foot long willow branches I've no idea! But the buns are loving stripping the bark off so it was worth it

No amount of embarrassment is too much when it comes to foraging for bunnies :oops:

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to foraging this year. Last year I attempted but I didn't really get into the swing of it. Now I've two buns I've double the reason to entertain them. I'll be honest the only thing I am confident in foraging... is hawthorn. Lol. But there is so much around me, everywhere you look in the Wyre and Flyde coast there are Hawthorn trees. It quite a marshy boggy area between the sea and estuary so maybe that's why.

Hawthorn buds are yummy we call them bread and cheese. I promise to save for the bun though, Alice would be rather upset with me if I didn't save some for her.

Back