Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: I am about to build a new shed, step by step piccies included

Spreader clamps: seriously need some of those in my life! The reversible bit is awesome

I empathise with the nailing: we tried nailing one of the boards back on (that we'd removed off the bottom of the playhouse to put the tunnel hole in) but it was too flexible and bounced all over the place so I gave up and screwed it in with my modified drill Did the job and still fine, but wouldn't want to do it too often as we split a few (unimportant) things screwing stuff in, but that could be my electric screwdriver inexperience
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Warren Scout

For putting in screws you are always best to drill a pilot hole first, slightly smaller than the screw

Warren Scout

So, part the next. Another side wall. Now forgive me for not including many pictures for this bit as oddly enough it is just a mirror of the opposite wall.
    How to make sure they match? Dead simple, lay the wall already made onto the trestles with the weatherboard underneath. Fairly obviously this reveals the inside frame facing the sky. It is now just a simple matter of laying your wood on top to get an exact match, use clamps to keep them all matched up and screw it together. Nail on yoyr weatherboards and job done in about a third of the time.
    For the first side I wasted about an hour measuring the weatherboards to a roughly correct size. Doh, I bought the boards 4.8m long and the longest one I needed was under 2.4m....cut the damn things in half, no fancy measuring need and then out with the saw to cut to length once nailed.

Todays tip, my spreader won't work on very narrow gaps, just use a piece of wood as a lever...sorted

To get a marked line to cut along the sloping top rail, just use a chalk line and then follow with your saw. Chalk lines cost nearly nothing from all popular diy shops. Pretty obvious I had abandoned exact measurements today.

Warren Scout

Weather was absolutely disgusting so, instead of building the front wall it was decided to put up the 3 sides I have made and brace them.

Oops forgot, I have put damp proof membrane on the bottom rails, just stapled on. It is the same stuff you see used in house walls, just chopped on half with my saw. Wood is a smidge damp. Flippin weather.

Now the two person bit. Roughly manoeuvre the walls into position. I then worked out where I wanted the left hand wall, in my case about 2" in from the concrete edge and 3" back. The front gap allows fir the front wall and boards to be level ish with the front edge of the concrete. I don't want to be stepping over a concrete lip to get into the shed. I just put a bit of rail on the floor with weatherboard next to it to get the gap.

So, left wall in position. Up the steps and I nailed a rail to our fence, just to stop it wobbling and falling over, plus means our 2 pairs of hands are free.
    Forgot to take a pic, this will have to do. The dark, angled rail just has one screw at the top and into the fence, it is only acting as a 3rd hand.

Now it just a case of positioning the back wall to the OUTSIDE of the left wall and clamp, then position the right wall to the INSIDE of the back wall. In other words, both side walls are sandwiched between my front and back walls.
    A quick couple of screws to hold it all in place, once the rail edges were square. Next a couple of coach bolts fitted, holes drilled to correct size for the bolts, 10mm in my case. The bolts go from outside to in, only using 2 for attaching the walls at each corner. If you look in the corners you will spot the silver of the coach bolts.
    As the weather is not good I screwed a temporary long rail across the front.

That will do for today, I am soaked through. Walls should stay in place safely overnight...he said.
    Tomorrow it is front wall building time, with a doorway...wow

Just as a note, I am going to use concrete screws to fix the shed to the base. Nothing weird, you just screw them in.
    I will take pics in the morning of the bits that need finishing off at the corners and how it bolted together. Really not in the mood right now.

It looks great and massive

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Yeah, just a bit damp, ain't it! :S I'm really enjoying this, and it's inspiring me (damnit!).
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    It looks great and massive
    Well it is for me to use, so its 2m high at the back and 2.4m at the front. The bunnies will be able to sniff the outside of it and be jealous.

Mama Doe

It's looking fab CC, concrete screws? Sounds like my hubby's 'glass hammer' and 'sky hooks'!!

Warren Scout

Screws for concrete sound better for you? If you are searching for them, look for screw bolts.

Pity the poor soul that has to put these in by hand. This will be where my, every home has one, tool idea goes out of the window. It will be pursuaded into place by a battery powered beast that normally takes off car wheels.
    Last edited by CrispyClaret; 22-03-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Wise Old Thumper Barn Yard Bunnies's Avatar

Wow, doing well. Shame about the rain.