Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I am about to build a new shed, step by step piccies included

Warren Scout

Frame built. Ready for a bit of outside timber?

I can fit my weatherboard exactly on the back wall, the side wall boards will overlap at the corners to give an elements proof seam.

Just measure, cut and nail these beasties. Frame is an even size so you can cut a fair few boards in advance for this back wall.
    Nail the first board, 2 nails at top, middle and bottom. We were supposed to be using a nail gun, it died, i got cramp in my hand after the first 3 boards...just made up for manual labour it seems. Notice how the end of these clamps can be reversed, turns a clamp into a push, clever. It is needed too, the tongue and groove needs to be a tight fit.

It is just a case now of weatherboarding right the way across. You will probably have an overhang top and bottom. The last board will also overhang on its long edge.
    Just jigsaw the ends off and use a sander to pretty it all up.
    The end result, inside view.

Believe it or not, that one days work was my first ever attempt at concreting and shed wall building.

Warren Scout

Day the next, or Friday 16th as it was on some calendars.

Side wall.
    Now, as I am building a pent roof with a front height of 2.4m and rear of 2m, the frame is slightly different.

Not obvious in the photo but it is not an even rectangle. New concrete looks good though

First things first, when in position the side walls will fit inside the front and back walls. When measuring its overall length do not forget to knock off 4" to take into account that fact.

To make the roof line easier to visualise, i have brought the rails close together for this pic. Basically rear rail is marked off for cutting at 2m, lay a top rail across so it is at 2.4m on the front rail. Mark angles and cut.

Shows slightly better here. Note all 3 rails are angled to fit. The tops of the verticals are angled to the roof slope and the top cross rail has its ends cut at an angle so that is flush with the outer edge.

The frame is completed exactly the same as the rear, I only used 3 uprights though instead of 5...shorter wall and of course the top of each rail has to be cut to the correct angle, 9 degrees mine was.
    The weatherboards do not start or finish at either outer edge, remember our board edges will overlap? So start the first board a couple of inches in, this will allow the overlap board to be cut accurately right at tge end of the build
    You can see how the angles worked out in the top corners of the frame.
    Last edited by CrispyClaret; 17-03-2017 at 11:32 PM.

Warren Scout

I hope this has been easy to follow so far, writing when tired is not the best plan i have made so far.

CC - this is fascinating! Your photos and words are clear.

All I can keep thinking is 'lucky bunnies', not only because they are having a custom shed, but also because they are owned by someone who cares enough to spend so much time and energy building them a lovely home.

Really interesting!

Jacks-Jane made me a lovely new siggy!

Warren Scout

Actually, it is lucky bunnies daddy
    They already have their little palace, http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...60772-My-hutch This is so I can have a workshop as all my woodworking has to be done outside. The idea behind showing the build on here is to show how easy it is to build a basic shed which of course can be adapted for our fluffy companions.
    I will be putting fixing points on the outside for their run though and in due course they will gain more homemade toys etc from me having a workshop.
    Last edited by CrispyClaret; 18-03-2017 at 07:20 AM.

Alpha Buck

Thanks for the update, it is certainly moving on
    Is the timber "treated" ?
    The reversible clamps look like an ideal birthday prezzie for hubby are they available from Screwfix?
    Our shed is looking very tired now, so your shed building diary is enlightening

Warren Scout

Hi, no the timber is not treated. The frame will be out of the weather or as near as makes nor nuch difference, the outside weatherboards are not treated because if they were they would pretty much reject any woodstain or paint. The stain I use is oil based and lasts for years if applied correctly.
    Last edited by CrispyClaret; 18-03-2017 at 07:30 PM.

Warren Scout

On screwfix, an example for sale is item 6525D.
    Any other diy shop, you need to look for a spreader clamp

It looks like it will be great, I'm sure it will be much better quality than an off the shelf shed and be cheaper too my OH is a keen DIYer and built my goat shed

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Alpha Buck

Quote Originally Posted by CrispyClaret View Post
    On screwfix, an example for sale is item 6525D.
    Any other diy shop, you need to look for a spreader clamp
    Thank you very much for that information