Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I am about to build a new shed, step by step piccies included

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by CrispyClaret View Post
    I will take that as a no then.
    This is a bunny forum. We are all shed nerds. Of COURSE we want to see your shed!!

Quote Originally Posted by CometLucy195 View Post
    We are all shed nerds.
    This is so true I also love how you explain things, CrispyClaret: down to earth proper speak, no bush-beating

I'm also watching closely because I've a T&G gate to fix and I'm looking for pointers I don't really have time to do a whole fix on the gate (it's pretty much all rotten) so hopefully I can do a cheap fix on the one dead plank and the do the rest later!
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Warren Scout

Not doing pics tonight. Enough to say I have been at it 14 hours today, with breaks. Back wall built and boarded, concrete mixed and laid. Moving a tonne of concrete at my age is not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by CrispyClaret View Post
    Moving a tonne of concrete at my age is not funny.
    TBF at any age it's probably painful the next day if it's not a regular thing! Hope your back/thighs/everythings are OK and/or recovering
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

yes please!!

Warren Scout

Quote Originally Posted by keletkezes View Post
    TBF at any age it's probably painful the next day if it's not a regular thing! Hope your back/thighs/everythings are OK and/or recovering
    Well i could do with...on second thoughts maybe not here.
    Last edited by CrispyClaret; 17-03-2017 at 10:45 PM.

Warren Scout

Now then this is a cement mixer and the less said about that the better, other than shovel ballast and cement into it with water and when like thick cream it is ready to use.

By the by, you can get ready mixed concrete delivered in one of those lovely big mixing lorries that boys like me loved as a child. Full lorry load is approx 6 tons, if you only need 1 ton guess how much you pay for? Yep, 6 tons. You pay for a full load regardless of how much you need.

Now for some reason my sister loves trowelling concrete, who am I to deny her that pleasure?

Once the wood frame is filled with grey much, use a large flat piece of wood and rub it across using a sawing motion. Smooths out the mix and brings the wetter smoother stuff to the surface. Get your friendly sister to use her concrete float and you end up with a smooth base.

Warren Scout

So, base done. Eagle eyed viewers will notice my photos are out of sequence. I built the back wall first then did the concrete...time management thing as i needed my sister to be around for her concrete duties.
    Next it is time for a back wall. My shed will virtually touch the fence so it will need planking before it is erected in place. I will do that with all four sides, heavy but allows me to work at a better height.

Sides of the shed are a basic 4 sided box with long rails and short battens added for strength, tongue and groove planks on top and thats it done. Sounds too easy? It took about 3 hours and was dead easy.

Ok. Measure how wide your shed is going to be and decide on its height, in my case just over 3m wide and 2m high, it is a big rectangle so nothing complex yet. Cut your long rails to the same length and cut your 2 shorter rails. I am using 2" square wood...approximately, the 2 shorter rails that will form the vertical sides need to be 2m minus 4" or metric equivalent as they will be fixed inside the long rails.

I am using trestles for a nice working height, floor works if it is all you have

Corners i support with a spare bit of wood and a clamp. I only have 4 clamps...dont need a lot of kit for this job. It just stops the frame wobbling about and hold the corners roughly together so i can whizz in some screws.

Each rail is held by just 2 screws. Counter sunk, i cheat and have a drill bit with built in counter sink. Just saves time.

Holes are drilled at an angle so that the tips of the screws are pointing to the middle of the square rail, not exact middle just an angle if it makes sense. Its just so the screws are slightly converging at the tips not parallel.

Please note, as you can see in the last pic, the upper edges are rough. 2x2 wood is actually supplied as 4x2 that the timber merchants cut in half. This leaves a rough edge, keep all the rough sides facing the same way for a neat, even job
    Last edited by CrispyClaret; 17-03-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Warren Scout

Screw together the four corners and you have a rectangle, not very rigid yet but that changes next.

Measure your diagonals the same as we did for the shuttering, move your frame until the measurements match. Clamp or temporarily screw a piece of wood across a corner and that fixes your frame nice and true.

Next we have vertical rails to put inside the frame, these will have battens between them giving a very rigid frame.
    We decided we wanted 5 vertical rails, so divide the inside width of the long edge by 5 and in our case it gives us 600mm. Pencil a line every 600mm to give us the centre point. Then it is just a matter of cutting a rail to fit the gap and whizzing in 2 screws as we did fir the outer frame. Again a simple clamp and piece of wood support the rail we are working on. You really can build this on your own, takes two people to move it afterwards, but the build is possible single handed.
    Loose piece of wood clamped at an angle, sit rail on top, drill and screw, simples.

Pic shows clamped support piece, centre marking and the rail in position.

Repeat 5 times.
    Voila, one very large ladder.

Warren Scout

Ok, it looks nice and big and strong. Nah, not yet. It needs battens across the middle to really firm things up.
    Dead easy, 2m high, so middle is? Yep 1m, draw a line at 1m straight cross the middle of your rectangle. I used chalked string, ping and thats my line drawn. A few extra minutes and a set square works just as well.
    Might sound obvious but the battens are staggered, its not very easy screwing two battens at the same level.
    Just the one screw needed in the ends.

You might notice a brown streak dribbling from one of the screw holes, a smidgen of grease helped the screws go in easily, 4" screws throughout, sorry i forgot to mention them earlier.