Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: I am about to build a new shed, step by step piccies included

Warren Scout

Now, as the weather has been unkind and my sister has my bits in a vice. Another little section on laying concrete for a shed base.
    Earlier you saw my shuttering that holds back a tonne of concrete while it sets.
    Ok the next step is you find a slave or someone that absolutely loves trowelling concrete so much she has her own tools for the job. Meet my twin sister...

Concrete just doesnt look right when its slopped down, lots of stones and holes etc but it gradually gets dragged into shape

In next to no time, or 2 hours we arrive at that heart warming moment, the last barrow load.

Still looks rubbish but now its magic time. One long, flat piece of wood has been pushed back and forth in a sawing action as the concrete went down. This produces an even thickness by dragging the excess towards an area still in need of filling.

As a family we like our toys, so my sister just happens to have this large heavy piece of aluminium with extendable rods to smooth out the concrete. It, by the way, is a concrete float.

You basically push and pull it across the concrete in both length and width. Gradually it semi liquifies the top of the mix, stones magically disappear and you are left with a hell of a gorgeous, flat piece of new shed base. Thanks Helen it was and is much appreciated.

End result, a thing of beauty

Leave it a few days, whack off the shuttering and put a shed on it.
    Last edited by CrispyClaret; 22-03-2017 at 08:22 PM.

Warren Scout

A special mention has to go to Bunny Rabbit Hare who taught my sister the correct way to lay concrete, never underestimate the knowledge of our little friends.