Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strawberry leaves causing dark urine?

Default Strawberry leaves causing dark urine?

I gave Dave some strawberry leaves earlier and his urine is really dark plus it doesn't smell nice either. Chloe hasn't had the same reaction to the leaves, at least not yet anyway

Quote Originally Posted by MummyBunnyEm View Post
    I gave Dave some strawberry leaves earlier and his urine is really dark plus it doesn't smell nice either. Chloe hasn't had the same reaction to the leaves, at least not yet anyway

I haven't found they change their urine significantly, and over the years I've fed quite a lot.
    Could it be something that only Dave ate?

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMax View Post
    I haven't found they change their urine significantly, and over the years I've fed quite a lot.
    Could it be something that only Dave ate?
    I'm not sure it's a bit odd, he seems fine in himself, eating well but it was quite a shock to see a dark coloured liquid in his tray. They were fresh strawberry leaves, maybe his stomach can't handle them? He eats a lot of fresh herbs though

Wise Old Thumper

If the wee smells 'nasty' it could be due to a UTI. But it may be that he is somewhat dehydrated. Is he drinking his usual amount ? Is he on any medication at the moment ?

I'm not sure it's a bit odd, he seems fine in himself, eating well but it was quite a shock to see a dark coloured liquid in his tray. They were fresh strawberry leaves, maybe his stomach can't handle them? He eats a lot of fresh herbs though
    Certainly I've known herbs to alter the colour of urine.

I'm glad he's fine in himself, hopefully it's just a colouring from something he's eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    If the wee smells 'nasty' it could be due to a UTI. But it may be that he is somewhat dehydrated. Is he drinking his usual amount ? Is he on any medication at the moment ?
    No medication and I'm not sure really regarding the drinking, although I did see him drink this morning. He's odd anyway, he won't go to the toilet in his house, only when he's out in the run. So he goes all night without going to the toilet which can't be comfortable for him.

I'm hoping whatever it was is out of his system now

I've seen him drink a couple of times in the last 20 mins so hopefully that will wash the nasty stuff out!

Wise Old Thumper

Could he have gotten to some dandelion leaves ? They can cause very dark wee.

No medication and I'm not sure really regarding the drinking, although I did see him drink this morning. He's odd anyway, he won't go to the toilet in his house, only when he's out in the run. So he goes all night without going to the toilet which can't be comfortable for him.

Oh what a tidy rabbit, only going outside!

That certainly would concentrate the wee in a way that wouldn't apply to Chloe

Have you seen any more evidence of the wee again since?