Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: My bunny choked and died today

  1. #1
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Redcar England
    Posts
    1,133

    Default My bunny choked and died today

    Hi RU,
    Sorry for posting a sad post in rabbit chat as it should probably be in health or rainbow bridge but I don't have a question, I just need to talk.
    My bunny Mavis choked and died right in front of me today, and I'm sure it was my fault. She'd been off her food since Friday night but was eating bits of grass and veg, her poops were few and far between yesterday and those she did do were misshaped and often stringed together. I got her an appt at the vets this morning, he said to give her critical care. She ate a few dandelions on the way home so before I embarked on the CC I put her on the grass just to see if she would have a nibble. She didn't so I decided to try her with the CC. I've had to do this before with others buns so knew what to do, just behind the front teeth, little at a time. She wasn't having any of it, just kept spitting it out so I decided to stop and try again a bit later. When she spat the CC out she also spat out a semi chewed dandelion flower. I cleaned her mouth, washed my hands then put her back in the run, went in the house to get some washing, and when I went back out I heard a thud and saw Mavis in the shed. I ran to her and her front legs were out to the side. I could tell something was wrong, then her head was dropping and she was drooling, but then would suddenly throw her head up, I panicked and didn't know what to do. I don't think I realised she was choking at this point, i just tried to confort her, but after about 15 seconds she was gone. I looked up the symptoms after and I'm sure she choked and I think it must have been the CC I gave her. Im so full of regret I didn't know how to help her, im devastated that she died that way, she must have been so frightened and in pain, and I caused it.
    I'm now thinking she must have been having trouble swallowing, the vet commented she had grass in her mouth, and now I think about it she hadn't swallowed the dandelion flower she spat out.
    I know I was only trying to do my best for her and it's one of those things, but she was a beautiful bunny and didn't deserve this ending. I'm heart broken.
    Thanks for letting me share, I needed to.

  2. #2
    Warren Scout
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    385

    Default

    I'm so sorry to hear your sad news. Please don't blame yourself, you took her to the vet and did what they said.
    I'm not medical so no idea what happened but it's not your fault.
    Big hugs.

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    10,028

    Default

    I am very sorry Sending you lots of hugs.

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper MimzMum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Heart&Soul:Alaska, Rest of me:Oregon
    Posts
    13,300

    Default

    I am so very sorry for your loss.
    In January of this year, my 10 year old bunny, Pip, wasn't eating for about 6 hours (that I knew of, perhaps she'd been having trouble for longer) and I, too, syringed critical care and water to her, hoping to get her to eat. By 9 that morning, she was very weak and limp and within about 15 minutes of trying to feed her again, she began coughing, sticking her nose in the air, then running madly about the room and then collapsed and died in my arms while I was trying to get hold of the vet. It was the most horrible experience I've ever had, and I've lost a few pets to sudden death, and I am so very sorry you had to experience this yourself.

    I also believe my bunny had trouble swallowing. But I don't know that it was the CC I fed her that was really the problem. Bunnies are so very good at hiding underlying illnesses and I am more of the idea now, after months of reflection, that this was the case with Pip. She simply had something else going on I didn't see and couldn't have known about. It is not something perhaps that had I known it I would have been able to save her either.

    What is important is that we were both with our bunnies when they passed, instead of them being in a tiny cage or alone in a vet's office overnight, or suffering a great amount of time with a long term illness. They knew we loved them dearly and would've done anything for them to still be with us now. Please take heart that you were trying to help your bunny, and she would've known this.

    You will be in my thoughts and I hope that you can find some comfort in knowing the love you shared with this precious friend will never die, it will always be with you and in that way, so will she. ((((((((((Huge hugs))))))))))) xxxx

  5. #5
    Forum Buddy Zoobec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    23,458

    Default

    I'm so very sorry thinking of you and sending hugs xx

    Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

  6. #6
    Warren Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    5,491

    Default

    I am so sorry. It sounds to me as though there was an underlying problem. You weren't to know given you were only doing as the vet had said. You tried your very best and your bunny would have know your love. Binky free little one.

  7. #7
    Mama Doe Pets mum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,696

    Default

    I'm so very sorry, you did everything you could to help her. As others have said, there could well have been an underlying issue. She knew she was loved and cared for, please try not to blame yourself xxx binky free little bun xx
    [IMG][/IMG]

  8. #8
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Redcar England
    Posts
    1,133

    Default

    Thank you everyone for your kind words, they are very much a comfort.

    Mimzmum, I am very sorry to read about pip, thank you for sharing, big hugs x

  9. #9
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    31,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Karen's View Post
    Hi RU,
    Sorry for posting a sad post in rabbit chat as it should probably be in health or rainbow bridge but I don't have a question, I just need to talk.
    My bunny Mavis choked and died right in front of me today, and I'm sure it was my fault. She'd been off her food since Friday night but was eating bits of grass and veg, her poops were few and far between yesterday and those she did do were misshaped and often stringed together. I got her an appt at the vets this morning, he said to give her critical care. She ate a few dandelions on the way home so before I embarked on the CC I put her on the grass just to see if she would have a nibble. She didn't so I decided to try her with the CC. I've had to do this before with others buns so knew what to do, just behind the front teeth, little at a time. She wasn't having any of it, just kept spitting it out so I decided to stop and try again a bit later. When she spat the CC out she also spat out a semi chewed dandelion flower. I cleaned her mouth, washed my hands then put her back in the run, went in the house to get some washing, and when I went back out I heard a thud and saw Mavis in the shed. I ran to her and her front legs were out to the side. I could tell something was wrong, then her head was dropping and she was drooling, but then would suddenly throw her head up, I panicked and didn't know what to do. I don't think I realised she was choking at this point, i just tried to confort her, but after about 15 seconds she was gone. I looked up the symptoms after and I'm sure she choked and I think it must have been the CC I gave her. Im so full of regret I didn't know how to help her, im devastated that she died that way, she must have been so frightened and in pain, and I caused it.
    I'm now thinking she must have been having trouble swallowing, the vet commented she had grass in her mouth, and now I think about it she hadn't swallowed the dandelion flower she spat out.
    I know I was only trying to do my best for her and it's one of those things, but she was a beautiful bunny and didn't deserve this ending. I'm heart broken.
    Thanks for letting me share, I needed to.

    Oh Karen, that's awful for you I'm so terribly sorry

    I don't believe you did anything that could have caused it, it was just an accident and very bad luck for Mavis.

    Sending you loads of hugs xx

  10. #10
    Warren Veteran daphnephoebe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    8,545

    Default

    Sending you lots of comforting hugs.
    They really do hide illness so well and I don't think anything you done caused her to pass.
    Try not to play it over & over in your mind... just focus on how much she was loved and the happy life she had.

    Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •