• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Olly and his mystery skin condition :(

ripminnie

Wise Old Thumper
This is driving me (and Olly) insane :( it is very, very strange. Around his rump area, mainly the sides,he has scabby/flaky areas that are really itchy. He bites them and makes them worse :( he has finished a full course of vet strength ivermectin as we thought it must be mites, but it is now worse, if anything. Doesn't look like ringworm at all. But the really strange and worrying part is the way he reacts if I start messing around his rump area. Sometimes I don't even attempt to look at the scabby areas, but even if I am removing bits of loose fluff or something from his back end, it's as though it does something to his brain and he loses control... he starts furiously grooming another area, like his dewlap, or his foot, and he can't stop doing it :( he bites and licks at whichever area he's chosen (not the scabby areas!) to the extent he falls over, and it almost looks like some kind of seizure :( his body goes stiff, but he carries on furiously licking/biting himself. It's really upsetting to see, and I'm at my wits end. The vet doesn't have a clue, though we have another appointment on Tuesday. This time she is going to do a skin scrape and bathe the areas with hibiscrub to see if it helps. Please, has anyone come across anything like this before?? I am really really struggling right now, as all three bunnies have issues, and I am stressed to hell :(

Just to add, the ONLY time he does that is if I am messing with his fur around the back end. The rest of the time he behaves completely normally!!

Last edited:
So sorry you and Olly are going through this. Are the other buns showing any signs of having the skin problem?

We had a bout of odd skin problems around this time last year but it wasn't as severe as poor Olly's sounds. They had very itchy, flaky skin around the base of their tails. Clumps of fur would come out leaving bald patches and if we gave them a scratch they would vigorously clean their chests/dewlaps.

We used Advantage on all and it cleared up within a couple of weeks.

It's probably not of much help to you I'm sorry but wishing you the best of luck with the vet visit, hope you get some answers.

So sorry you and Olly are going through this. Are the other buns showing any signs of having the skin problem?

We had a bout of odd skin problems around this time last year but it wasn't as severe as poor Olly's sounds. They had very itchy, flaky skin around the base of their tails. Clumps of fur would come out leaving bald patches and if we gave them a scratch they would vigorously clean their chests/dewlaps.

We used Advantage on all and it cleared up within a couple of weeks.

It's probably not of much help to you I'm sorry but wishing you the best of luck with the vet visit, hope you get some answers.

Thanks, the other buns are all fine in that respect!! They live in different rooms though...

Mimzy does something like this. If I rub his ears, which these days have some serious wax deposit and dry, scaly areas that have already been determined are not mites, then he furiously washes his paws and face until I stop. He's always done this though...it's kind of like that ticklish spot you find on a dog where you scratch the belly and the leg thumps?

Poor Olly though, it must be rough for him to feel like there's an itch needing scratching but it's in a place where, if I recall right he's a semi tilted bun?, it must be hard to get to to satisfy.

It might just be a triggered reaction, but the 'seizure' description I agree would be scary. I hope you can get it sorted for him. Itchy bunnies can get really cranky. :(
(((((((((Many vibes and hugs on the way to you and Olly)))))))))) xxxx

Mimzy does something like this. If I rub his ears, which these days have some serious wax deposit and dry, scaly areas that have already been determined are not mites, then he furiously washes his paws and face until I stop. He's always done this though...it's kind of like that ticklish spot you find on a dog where you scratch the belly and the leg thumps?

Poor Olly though, it must be rough for him to feel like there's an itch needing scratching but it's in a place where, if I recall right he's a semi tilted bun?, it must be hard to get to to satisfy.

It might just be a triggered reaction, but the 'seizure' description I agree would be scary. I hope you can get it sorted for him. Itchy bunnies can get really cranky. :(
(((((((((Many vibes and hugs on the way to you and Olly)))))))))) xxxx

Thank you, yes he is a bit tilty and does struggle to reach around there himself, but he does manage to bite at these scaly bits!! The area around his tail though he can't reach at all, and I think this irritates him :(

He sounds to be frantically grooming a part of him that he can reach in an attempt to relieve intense itching in an area he cannot reach due to his head tilt.

Can you get a video of him doing it and show it to the Vet. A skin scrapping for microscopic examination sounds to be a good plan. Hopefully the Vet will make sure the Hibiscrub is very dilute as if Olly's skin is inflamed Hibiscrub will sting like hell. Perhaps the Vet could give him a shot of Meloxicam prior to carrying out the procedure ?

Poor Olly, I really hope the vet can find the cause of his problem. Good luck with the visit xx

This is driving me (and Olly) insane :( it is very, very strange. Around his rump area, mainly the sides,he has scabby/flaky areas that are really itchy. He bites them and makes them worse :( he has finished a full course of vet strength ivermectin as we thought it must be mites, but it is now worse, if anything. Doesn't look like ringworm at all. But the really strange and worrying part is the way he reacts if I start messing around his rump area. Sometimes I don't even attempt to look at the scabby areas, but even if I am removing bits of loose fluff or something from his back end, it's as though it does something to his brain and he loses control... he starts furiously grooming another area, like his dewlap, or his foot, and he can't stop doing it :( he bites and licks at whichever area he's chosen (not the scabby areas!) to the extent he falls over, and it almost looks like some kind of seizure :( his body goes stiff, but he carries on furiously licking/biting himself. It's really upsetting to see, and I'm at my wits end. The vet doesn't have a clue, though we have another appointment on Tuesday. This time she is going to do a skin scrape and bathe the areas with hibiscrub to see if it helps. Please, has anyone come across anything like this before?? I am really really struggling right now, as all three bunnies have issues, and I am stressed to hell :(

Just to add, the ONLY time he does that is if I am messing with his fur around the back end. The rest of the time he behaves completely normally!!

I have had rabbits that nag and nag at a part of them until they make it really sore :( Sometimes it's caused through being in pain, or through frustration.

Sometimes it becomes habitual, and even if a skin scraping or biopsy is taken, it comes back as normal (nothing to report).

With intransigent cases I have used creams that have stopped the itching, and allowed the inflamed areas to really settle down, and the behaviour has stopped. You have to make sure that all the scratching and biting doesn't cause any infection in the skin.

Good luck xx

Back