Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Olly and his mystery skin condition :(

  1. #1
    Wise Old Thumper ripminnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Haslingden, Lancs, UK
    Posts
    11,367

    Default Olly and his mystery skin condition :(

    This is driving me (and Olly) insane it is very, very strange. Around his rump area, mainly the sides,he has scabby/flaky areas that are really itchy. He bites them and makes them worse he has finished a full course of vet strength ivermectin as we thought it must be mites, but it is now worse, if anything. Doesn't look like ringworm at all. But the really strange and worrying part is the way he reacts if I start messing around his rump area. Sometimes I don't even attempt to look at the scabby areas, but even if I am removing bits of loose fluff or something from his back end, it's as though it does something to his brain and he loses control... he starts furiously grooming another area, like his dewlap, or his foot, and he can't stop doing it he bites and licks at whichever area he's chosen (not the scabby areas!) to the extent he falls over, and it almost looks like some kind of seizure his body goes stiff, but he carries on furiously licking/biting himself. It's really upsetting to see, and I'm at my wits end. The vet doesn't have a clue, though we have another appointment on Tuesday. This time she is going to do a skin scrape and bathe the areas with hibiscrub to see if it helps. Please, has anyone come across anything like this before?? I am really really struggling right now, as all three bunnies have issues, and I am stressed to hell

    Just to add, the ONLY time he does that is if I am messing with his fur around the back end. The rest of the time he behaves completely normally!!
    Last edited by ripminnie; 12-03-2017 at 08:04 PM.


    Rest in Peace my little Honey-Pie, I will love and miss you forever sweetheart xxxxxxxxxxx

  2. #2
    Young Bun
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Lincoln
    Posts
    59

    Default

    So sorry you and Olly are going through this. Are the other buns showing any signs of having the skin problem?

    We had a bout of odd skin problems around this time last year but it wasn't as severe as poor Olly's sounds. They had very itchy, flaky skin around the base of their tails. Clumps of fur would come out leaving bald patches and if we gave them a scratch they would vigorously clean their chests/dewlaps.

    We used Advantage on all and it cleared up within a couple of weeks.

    It's probably not of much help to you I'm sorry but wishing you the best of luck with the vet visit, hope you get some answers.

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper ripminnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Haslingden, Lancs, UK
    Posts
    11,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PatchMagic View Post
    So sorry you and Olly are going through this. Are the other buns showing any signs of having the skin problem?

    We had a bout of odd skin problems around this time last year but it wasn't as severe as poor Olly's sounds. They had very itchy, flaky skin around the base of their tails. Clumps of fur would come out leaving bald patches and if we gave them a scratch they would vigorously clean their chests/dewlaps.

    We used Advantage on all and it cleared up within a couple of weeks.

    It's probably not of much help to you I'm sorry but wishing you the best of luck with the vet visit, hope you get some answers.

    Thanks, the other buns are all fine in that respect!! They live in different rooms though...


    Rest in Peace my little Honey-Pie, I will love and miss you forever sweetheart xxxxxxxxxxx

  4. #4
    Forum Buddy Zoobec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    22,246

    Default

    I hope someone can advise. Sending lots of vibes for him xx

    Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

  5. #5
    Wise Old Thumper MimzMum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Heart&Soul:Alaska, Rest of me:Oregon
    Posts
    12,970

    Default

    Mimzy does something like this. If I rub his ears, which these days have some serious wax deposit and dry, scaly areas that have already been determined are not mites, then he furiously washes his paws and face until I stop. He's always done this though...it's kind of like that ticklish spot you find on a dog where you scratch the belly and the leg thumps?

    Poor Olly though, it must be rough for him to feel like there's an itch needing scratching but it's in a place where, if I recall right he's a semi tilted bun?, it must be hard to get to to satisfy.

    It might just be a triggered reaction, but the 'seizure' description I agree would be scary. I hope you can get it sorted for him. Itchy bunnies can get really cranky.
    (((((((((Many vibes and hugs on the way to you and Olly)))))))))) xxxx

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper ripminnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Haslingden, Lancs, UK
    Posts
    11,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MimzMum View Post
    Mimzy does something like this. If I rub his ears, which these days have some serious wax deposit and dry, scaly areas that have already been determined are not mites, then he furiously washes his paws and face until I stop. He's always done this though...it's kind of like that ticklish spot you find on a dog where you scratch the belly and the leg thumps?

    Poor Olly though, it must be rough for him to feel like there's an itch needing scratching but it's in a place where, if I recall right he's a semi tilted bun?, it must be hard to get to to satisfy.

    It might just be a triggered reaction, but the 'seizure' description I agree would be scary. I hope you can get it sorted for him. Itchy bunnies can get really cranky.
    (((((((((Many vibes and hugs on the way to you and Olly)))))))))) xxxx

    Thank you, yes he is a bit tilty and does struggle to reach around there himself, but he does manage to bite at these scaly bits!! The area around his tail though he can't reach at all, and I think this irritates him


    Rest in Peace my little Honey-Pie, I will love and miss you forever sweetheart xxxxxxxxxxx

  7. #7
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    126,863

    Default

    He sounds to be frantically grooming a part of him that he can reach in an attempt to relieve intense itching in an area he cannot reach due to his head tilt.

    Can you get a video of him doing it and show it to the Vet. A skin scrapping for microscopic examination sounds to be a good plan. Hopefully the Vet will make sure the Hibiscrub is very dilute as if Olly's skin is inflamed Hibiscrub will sting like hell. Perhaps the Vet could give him a shot of Meloxicam prior to carrying out the procedure ?

  8. #8
    Mama Doe Pets mum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,290

    Default

    Poor Olly, I really hope the vet can find the cause of his problem. Good luck with the visit xx
    [IMG][/IMG]

  9. #9
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    26,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ripminnie View Post
    This is driving me (and Olly) insane it is very, very strange. Around his rump area, mainly the sides,he has scabby/flaky areas that are really itchy. He bites them and makes them worse he has finished a full course of vet strength ivermectin as we thought it must be mites, but it is now worse, if anything. Doesn't look like ringworm at all. But the really strange and worrying part is the way he reacts if I start messing around his rump area. Sometimes I don't even attempt to look at the scabby areas, but even if I am removing bits of loose fluff or something from his back end, it's as though it does something to his brain and he loses control... he starts furiously grooming another area, like his dewlap, or his foot, and he can't stop doing it he bites and licks at whichever area he's chosen (not the scabby areas!) to the extent he falls over, and it almost looks like some kind of seizure his body goes stiff, but he carries on furiously licking/biting himself. It's really upsetting to see, and I'm at my wits end. The vet doesn't have a clue, though we have another appointment on Tuesday. This time she is going to do a skin scrape and bathe the areas with hibiscrub to see if it helps. Please, has anyone come across anything like this before?? I am really really struggling right now, as all three bunnies have issues, and I am stressed to hell

    Just to add, the ONLY time he does that is if I am messing with his fur around the back end. The rest of the time he behaves completely normally!!

    I have had rabbits that nag and nag at a part of them until they make it really sore Sometimes it's caused through being in pain, or through frustration.

    Sometimes it becomes habitual, and even if a skin scraping or biopsy is taken, it comes back as normal (nothing to report).

    With intransigent cases I have used creams that have stopped the itching, and allowed the inflamed areas to really settle down, and the behaviour has stopped. You have to make sure that all the scratching and biting doesn't cause any infection in the skin.

    Good luck xx

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •