Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Marathon Trio Bond

Young Bun

Thank you. Luckily she doesn't try to nibble the flowers, she's much more of a 'knock the vase over and watch it smash' kind of bun but we're always watching her when she's up there.

The bond does seem to be progressing although the charging is continuing. It's still very random and seems to have no sense to it. Pumpkin lets her eat with him and go to the toilet, he snuggles into her for strokes and will sit with her eating treats. He'll randomly just charge her though, grunting and sometimes ending with fur in his mouth.

They now sleep closer but she's still very much separate from them. When they go off to explore she will go to join them but they'll chase her back.

I know I'm probably being over sensitive but it's just so hard to watch. She's trying so so hard to be a part of their group and they're being incredibly stubborn

I'm not sure how long to give it before deciding if Bloo should have her own husbun, like she has had since she come to us. It would be a shame to give up on the bond but if it's going to be them accepting her but not bonding with her then it's just not fair

Wise Old Thumper

I know what you mean. I have never done a trio, just pairs, although I had a pair of sisters who took a bereaved male under their wing and it took a good few days before they allowed him into their bed which was in the shed. They accepted him in their run but he wasn't allowed in their bed straightaway. It does take time for rabbits to accept one another because in the wild they are in family groups and outsiders are not welcome as they are a threat to their territory and food. So in your case I would definitely keep goin for a few more days, as long as they aren't hurting her. Sometimes what looks like unfriendly behaviour is just normal for rabbits.

Young Bun

Thank you, tonibun. I'm not giving up just yet but constantly questioning if it's the right thing to do.

I haven't been around much due to work so my partner has taken over as Bond Monitor. So, the biggest change is pumpkin and Bloo now being absolutely loved up! They snuggle, kiss, clean, share food and sleep together. They're like a real bonded pair and Bloo is loving every second of it

Bloo and Molly, however, not so much They started off really well together and were the first to show signs of bonding but yesterday they seemed to be getting a bit tetchy with each other. This has escalated to scuffling today, beginning this morning Molly seemed to just be annoyed with Bloo so jumped at her trying to nip her. Bloo has now found her feet so showed some aggression back at her.

It hasn't resulted in fighting but it's certainly tense. Every time Molly gets near Bloo now she will approach her ready to scuffle. Bloo will ignore her unless Molly pushes it by getting too in her face then Bloo will front her which makes Molly do an odd jump into her.

We'll be taking them all to get their injections in a couple of weeks but just hope things don't escalate before then

They were doing so well! I hope it's just a glitch!
    Last edited by PatchMagic; 17-03-2017 at 09:35 PM.

Wise Old Thumper

Do they all eat together?

Young Bun

Yes they do, they share a hay stack and tray of veggies. Again, this has been much more successful over the past few days with them all squeezing into each other to get their noses into the food, there's been no aggression at all. Yesterday and today though, Molly and Bloo won't be at the veggies tray together and instead are taking it in turns. They will eat hay together but that is much more spread out.

Young Bun

Just a little update:

This is by far the most exhausting bond I've ever been a part of. They're still not at the point where they can be left unsupervised which is obviously quite difficult but we're persevering nonetheless.

Pumpkin & Molly seem to take in turns to act crazy. We can go a few days with all peace and love then out of nowhere one will charge at Bloo and pull her fur.

Molly doesn't let Bloo outside so they have to take it in turns. The other day Bloo snook out though and they got into a rough tussle. Both came away with a bite wound - not bad enough to require a trip to the vets. This left them both nervous for a few days after and that's where we're at now!

A few things I've found helpful:

Might just be my buns but being told off/pushed away DOES NOT work once they get tense. It only serves to heighten the tension. Instead I will stroke them and talk soothingly whilst throwing in a few random giggles to really baffle them. Laughing usually makes pumpkin binky too.

We buy soreen bread which they're all obsessed with. We keep it nearby and rustle the wrapper which immediately distracts them from any tension.

If we scritch their bums just above the tail it makes them clean vigorously. In order to calm things and encourage niceness, I'll scritch them whilst the other bun is in front of them which then makes them clean the other bun's face. This settles other bun and usually ends with them giving a reciprocal clean afterwards.

We're still not entirely sure this bond will work and will probably give it a little bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by PatchMagic View Post
    Just a little update:

This is by far the most exhausting bond I've ever been a part of. They're still not at the point where they can be left unsupervised which is obviously quite difficult but we're persevering nonetheless.

Pumpkin & Molly seem to take in turns to act crazy. We can go a few days with all peace and love then out of nowhere one will charge at Bloo and pull her fur.

Molly doesn't let Bloo outside so they have to take it in turns. The other day Bloo snook out though and they got into a rough tussle. Both came away with a bite wound - not bad enough to require a trip to the vets. This left them both nervous for a few days after and that's where we're at now!

A few things I've found helpful:

Might just be my buns but being told off/pushed away DOES NOT work once they get tense. It only serves to heighten the tension. Instead I will stroke them and talk soothingly whilst throwing in a few random giggles to really baffle them. Laughing usually makes pumpkin binky too.

We buy soreen bread which they're all obsessed with. We keep it nearby and rustle the wrapper which immediately distracts them from any tension.

If we scritch their bums just above the tail it makes them clean vigorously. In order to calm things and encourage niceness, I'll scritch them whilst the other bun is in front of them which then makes them clean the other bun's face. This settles other bun and usually ends with them giving a reciprocal clean afterwards.

We're still not entirely sure this bond will work and will probably give it a little bit longer.

I think you've worked wonders with your bunnies. And not only that, you could begin to write your own memoir of how you did it. I find the tips you've given us to be so interesting and useful they would certainly be worth remembering

I really hope the bond works - it so deserves to!

Good luck xx