• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

End the Cage Age For Rabbits

Done! Bit last minute but I've just seen this.
Gosh those poor buns, I do hope something changes, it's quite shocking what is allowed.

Just emailed another 5 as using my Yorkshire postcode as well as my one at uni in Leicester! :wave:

ETA: just watched the video and almost brought me to tears, the bunnies look just like my Reuben but what a horrid life they have in those cages. It isn't fair. :cry:

Last edited:
I got a response, basically stating that he had no interest in voting as he was voted in on the mandate of the UK leaving the EU - and that farming of rabbits within the UK isn't an issue as rabbit meat is very much a minority dish. He will be abstaining as it's an emotional issue and animal welfare is already taken seriously within the UK.

He also included a brief on rabbit farming prepared by a researcher, mentioning the rejection and potential appeal of Gnosall, Staffs.

At least I got a response?

I meant to comment on this thread before as I've put it on my facebook page and it's been shared so hopefully word is getting out. I emailed about 6 MEPs but got no response. I guess it's not worth contacting your local MP as mine is really good and is petitioning for animal cruelty sentences to be made 5 years instead of 6 months.

Fingers crossed something good will come of it.

It's good news. :) I seem to remember seeing something on Food Unwrapped about rabbit farms and that most of them were in Spain.

Great news that the bill has been passed with a big majority. Of course we are leaving the European Union :)roll: ) so who knows, ultimately, what will happen here - if most of the rabbit farms are in Spain, then it is overwhelmingly positive.

Hm.

Cages have a bad reputation here in Europe, but, when big enough, they have advantages. They offer a clean living space, much less risk of diseases and stuff like urin scald and fly strike.
"End the cage age" would actually be a huge step backward, but hey, who cares how many peg out due to deseases, or about the necessery medication to prevent it, as long as it fits the conception of people who not really have to deal with these matters....
Unfortunatly, those who make decisions seldom have any idea.

Rabbits can live very well and healthy in good cages, it took some time for me to get used to that idea, but that's the way it is. Actually, commercial breeders can't afford unhealthy conditions. Get unbiased information, not emotional texts of people with an agenda.
Of course I'm not speaking about A3 sized contraptions. And there should be reasonable standards about design and size for commercial breeders, but "end the cage age" is imho populistic nonsense that overshoots and counteracts the actual goal.
Natural behaviour includes terrorizing and killing each other, look at what a topic "bonding" actually is...

That discussion is about livestock, not pets. My viewpoint may be different since I have both, pet and meat rabbits.
I think that is an mistake, just to make us feel good.

Last edited:
Back