Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Through the night

Default Through the night

So as some of you know already I rescued a rabbit today. A little girlfriend for Oggy.

Everything has been going well. But the last hour Oggy has literally just followed her round trying to hump her. He makes a buzzing noise whilst doing this.

Earlier I thought it was going well and was planning on leaving them through the night.
    But now I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to leave them.

Should I be turning the lights off? At the moment they have the whole bathroom space, should I be condensing this down?

There has been no aggression at all, I'm just starting to feel a bit sorry for her.

I don't really want to split them up. What do you do when bonding through the night?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandraLT View Post
    So as some of you know already I rescued a rabbit today. A little girlfriend for Oggy.

Everything has been going well. But the last hour Oggy has literally just followed her round trying to hump her. He makes a buzzing noise whilst doing this.

Earlier I thought it was going well and was planning on leaving them through the night.
    But now I'm not sure whether it's a good idea to leave them.

Should I be turning the lights off? At the moment they have the whole bathroom space, should I be condensing this down?

There has been no aggression at all, I'm just starting to feel a bit sorry for her.

I don't really want to split them up. What do you do when bonding through the night?

Some people do go for smaller spaces, but personally I never have. I don't find it makes a difference.

It all depends on how much the humping is bothering her, and from what you've said, it isn't really? She may be getting fed up, but she can assert herself if she wants to.

I have been known to kip on the floor beside them, just to be sure I'm there should anything happen.

Thank you.

I've turned the lights off and it's gone quiet. She seems to be getting fed up with him doing it. But just runs away when he gets close.

I'm sat in the bath tub in a pitch black room.

I may go for a nap. But set my alarm every hour or something to check on them. Seeming they seem pretty tired.

Og has eaten some hay now aswell so I'm a bit more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandraLT View Post
    Thank you.

I've turned the lights off and it's gone quiet. She seems to be getting fed up with him doing it. But just runs away when he gets close.

I'm sat in the bath tub in a pitch black room.

I may go for a nap. But set my alarm every hour or something to check on them. Seeming they seem pretty tired.

Og has eaten some hay now aswell so I'm a bit more comfortable.

Oh that's good, I'm relieved to hear that

UPDATE:

So I slept in the bath tub for an hour and decided that because not a lot was going on apart from Oggy making a buzzing noise at her and trying to hump her. But as there was no signs of aggression at all, I decided to go to bed and check on then every hour.

Every hour was ambitious. But I did check on them through the night and everything seemed fine.

I'm now in with them again and all is much the same. He is chasing her making a buzzing noise and trying to hump her.

I have sprinkled food and treats around. And she's eating well. But he is only interested in humping her.

I'm not sure what to do next. So if anyone has any ideas to help me out. Please let me know

Alpha Buck

Has he eaten anything? When was the last time you saw him eat? Is he pooping? Does your vet open Saturday morning?

The humping and buzzing (our boy Darwin did this) is all normal (in my experience anyway) but obviously it is important he eats instead of totally focusing on humping. If it was me (and I'm no expert) I think I would briefly remove him from the situation and try hand feeding him, when he's calmed down a bit x

**created by my DD Lionheadlop**

I can feed him hay. If I give it to him.
    He did eat it in his own yesterday but only small amounts.
    He has no interest in pellets.

If I took him out of the situation in 90% sure he would eat. But I don't want to do anything to the bonding that may ruin it!!

Wise Old Thumper

Everything sounds normal to me. I use a bigger space but if you haven't got a bigger space then you can't do it that way. As long as they aren't fighting then keep on - it should only last for a couple more days, maybe not that long. Bonding vibes being sent your way!

Well others may say different, but my two had a number of supervised dates instead before being put together and my two were absolutely fine. As long as intially there has been no aggression like you say, I personally would take him out for a little bit to make sure he eats and maybe give them both a breather from each other. Xx
    Rest in peace my beautiful fur babies - Tango, Whiskey, Harvey & Honey **Forever in my heart**