• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free at last

Calliope

New Kit
Free range, that is.

Oreo has always been a house bunny. Before bringing him home autumn 2015 I built a pen in the room where we spend the most time,

eAvKeIi.jpg

since we didn't initially know just how much he'd be able to roam. As we grew more confident with our bunny-proofing,

skinnybunny.jpg

repurposed fireplace guard

it didn't take long for him to have the run of much of the house.

Although he's not particularly destructive, except to slippers, books which fairly scream "eat me!", and the occasional box stretcher that repeatedly gets in the way,

grooming.jpg

"Those things 'protected' by paper towel rolls are called box stretchers? Learn something new every day."

the nagging worry of many unsupervised hours was, until recently, enough to keep us ushering him into his pen every night and those days when nobody's home.

Not long ago we finally decided to take the big step of removing the pen altogether. Now he can spend his off hours in his favourite place – behind the couch.

sleepy.jpg

While we haven't had noticeably more cleaning up to do, hay will always find a way to get everywhere, eventually. Here he is doing an extra-large takeaway.

R39FPbf.jpg

Last edited:
Free range, that is.

Oreo has always been a house bunny. Before bringing him home autumn 2015 I built a pen in the room where we spend the most time,

eAvKeIi.jpg

since we didn't initially know just how much he'd be able to roam. As we grew more confident with our bunny-proofing,

skinnybunny.jpg

repurposed fireplace guard

it didn't take long for him to have the run of much of the house.

Although he's not particularly destructive, except to slippers, books which fairly scream "eat me!", and the occasional box stretcher that repeatedly gets in the way,

grooming.jpg

"Those things 'protected' by paper towel rolls are called box stretchers? Learn something new every day."

the nagging worry of many unsupervised hours was, until recently, enough to keep us ushering him into his pen every night and those days when nobody's home.

Not long ago we finally decided to take the big step of removing the pen altogether. Now he can spend his off hours in his favourite place – behind the couch.

sleepy.jpg

While we haven't had noticeably more cleaning up to do, hay will always find a way to get everywhere, eventually. Here he is doing an extra-large takeaway.

R39FPbf.jpg

These are very lovely photos :love:

I would only ever have free range house buns.
The nearest I can promise them to a natural life with as much safety as possible :D

Oreo is gorgeous and your photos are beautiful too. What a lovely life he has.

My Dennis and Bella are now free range house buns (funnily enough Dennis is a tri coloured Dutch who looks a lot like Oreo!) but I'm struggling to get them to actually do any free ranging. They don't have an enclosure, just a carpeted area of the kitchen but they are very reluctant to venture far on my laminate floor. I've various mats I put down to encourage them, it's early days yet, I guess.

Lovely photos. Oreo looks very pleased with his new arrangement :love:

My buns are also completely free ranging throughout the whole flat. I wouldn't have it any other way. I love the fact they can just come and go as they please :love:

Gorgeous photos :love:

Our two bunnies are also free range house rabbits. We get some funny looks when people come round for the first time! But watching them is one of my favourite things to do on a free evening :)

O thanks you all, and is pleased to make the acquaintance of orangediva's fellow tri coloured Dutch.

Here he is going totally free range:

G0eunzS.jpg

While he's an apolitical bunny, there are some causes he simply cannot ignore.

He is gorgeous:love: chuckled at the pic of him with his takeaway :love:

Orangediva your bunnies are gorgeous too :love:

Just came across this video from last year, showing him exploring the living room for the first time. We were in the midst of bunny-proofing at the time – I wince to see those cords to the blinds hanging free!

…and here he is just last month trying to decide why it seemed like a good idea to hop up onto a slippery chair. Again.

Back