• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Limping

Limit

Warren Scout
So I've had Monty now for almost two weeks and he's very skittish when I don't talk to him before entering his shed. I made the mistake of not talking and made him jump, he did a mad dash and managed to fall over his litter tray (the sides are not that high but in his panic he didn't pick himself up enough) and he's now picking his back foot up occasionally.

He still hops and periscopes, coming over for food and generally moving about. No tooth grinding, no hunched over in pain and he's not always picking it up?

I'm worried and i cannot take him to the vets this weekend as I don't drive and no one will be about until Sunday late afternoon. Is there a possibility he's just strained the muscle and needs to let it heal? Any advice welcome, going to schedule an appointment for either Monday or Tuesday just not sure what to do in the mean time. I feel horrid the poor lad :(

So I've had Monty now for almost two weeks and he's very skittish when I don't talk to him before entering his shed. I made the mistake of not talking and made him jump, he did a mad dash and managed to fall over his litter tray (the sides are not that high but in his panic he didn't pick himself up enough) and he's now picking his back foot up occasionally.

He still hops and periscopes, coming over for food and generally moving about. No tooth grinding, no hunched over in pain and he's not always picking it up?

I'm worried and i cannot take him to the vets this weekend as I don't drive and no one will be about until Sunday late afternoon. Is there a possibility he's just strained the muscle and needs to let it heal? Any advice welcome, going to schedule an appointment for either Monday or Tuesday just not sure what to do in the mean time. I feel horrid the poor lad :(

Poor chap :cry: Have you checked his toes ? He may have caught a nail on the side of the litter tray x

Poor chap :cry: Have you checked his toes ? He may have caught a nail on the side of the litter tray x

I checked them as much as I could but I can't pick him up to have a good feel and look. Will try again once he's calmed down a bit, trying to keep his stress levels to a minimum because of his snuffles too! Thanks for the advice, will try getting a good look x

Yes you may well be right about a strained muscle. I guess if there's no break, a vet may examine and give Metacam to help with pain and inflammation.

However, given your circumstances, I would make sure he doesn't overexert himself and wait for a day or so, and observe him.

Poor lad and poor you! They do worry us!

Yes you may well be right about a strained muscle. I guess if there's no break, a vet may examine and give Metacam to help with pain and inflammation.

However, given your circumstances, I would make sure he doesn't overexert himself and wait for a day or so, and observe him.

Poor lad and poor you! They do worry us!

Anything jump-on-able has been removed and he's being checked on quite a lot, bless him, just trying not to touch him too much as I can hear him sneezing as it's flared up from the stress. He's going to have the weekend for some quite time and to relax, no going out for him. Wouldn't think there's a break as he's not showing signs of pain and is still using it on and off, but you never know :( I think they worry us far too much!

Anything jump-on-able has been removed and he's being checked on quite a lot, bless him, just trying not to touch him too much as I can hear him sneezing as it's flared up from the stress. He's going to have the weekend for some quite time and to relax, no going out for him. Wouldn't think there's a break as he's not showing signs of pain and is still using it on and off, but you never know :( I think they worry us far too much!

How do you think he's doing today?

Sending you some positive vibes. Why is it that our bunnies always have problems at times when we are unable to get them to a rabbit savvy vet?

How do you think he's doing today?

He's better, moving more but still wobbly and sometimes adamant about keeping that foot off the ground. :( He's on 'box rest' only allowed in 8x5 of his enclosure instead of all of it and the whole area is lined with straw and hay for comfort. He is an odd one as when the time suits him he will move a lot for his food and will periscope (even if he is wobbling!). My mum is popping in soon and I'll be lifting so she can check under his foot for anything sharp and to also check his nails over.

Still getting him to the vets to check him over, our vets haven't met him yet so this will be a surprise!

Sending you some positive vibes. Why is it that our bunnies always have problems at times when we are unable to get them to a rabbit savvy vet?

Exactly! He's been fine all this time and the one time I can't get him to the vets he's got a limp. Rabbits, such terrible creatures for people who worry! Thank you for the vibes, Monte appreciates them!

He's better, moving more but still wobbly and sometimes adamant about keeping that foot off the ground. :( He's on 'box rest' only allowed in 8x5 of his enclosure instead of all of it and the whole area is lined with straw and hay for comfort. He is an odd one as when the time suits him he will move a lot for his food and will periscope (even if he is wobbling!). My mum is popping in soon and I'll be lifting so she can check under his foot for anything sharp and to also check his nails over.

Still getting him to the vets to check him over, our vets haven't met him yet so this will be a surprise!

I'm glad to hear he's better :D

Good to have a second pair of hands to help with the lifting. Is he a wriggly-bun?

I'm glad to hear he's better :D

Good to have a second pair of hands to help with the lifting. Is he a wriggly-bun?

A wriggling 6kg bun, yes! I can pick him up but then to try and see under his foot? He says 'Nu uh' and gives a nice few kicks, makes me think he might've stood on something and doesn't want me to touch, in a way (sounds terrible :( ) I'm hoping it is just something he's stood on or a strained muscle.

A wriggling 6kg bun, yes! I can pick him up but then to try and see under his foot? He says 'Nu uh' and gives a nice few kicks, makes me think he might've stood on something and doesn't want me to touch, in a way (sounds terrible :( ) I'm hoping it is just something he's stood on or a strained muscle.

Hmmm :shock: Two pair of hands essential :D

Been to the vets this morning, no swelling on the joints or bones but the vet believes he's twisted or sprained his ankle as this is where he started to wriggle. She checked his movement and wasn't too concerned overall.

He's on 10ml of metacam once a day for his size and is to go in for a check up in a weeks time :)

Been to the vets this morning, no swelling on the joints or bones but the vet believes he's twisted or sprained his ankle as this is where he started to wriggle. She checked his movement and wasn't too concerned overall.

He's on 10ml of metacam once a day for his size and is to go in for a check up in a weeks time :)

Do you really mean 10ml ??

I am glad there are no obvious fractures xx

Good, that's what I thought it probably was :)

You don't really mean 10ml of Metacam, do you?
The vet would've had to provide you with a very expensive and massive bottle for a few days :lol:

Do you really mean 10ml ??

I am glad there are no obvious fractures xx

Oh my gosh I should've read that over! No he is definitely not on 10! He's on 1.0 per day to take the edge off!

On another note, he takes his medication like a champ, no need to hold him down he has it straight from the syringe and even wants more. Strange rabbit. :lol:

Oh my gosh I should've read that over! No he is definitely not on 10! He's on 1.0 per day to take the edge off!

On another note, he takes his medication like a champ, no need to hold him down he has it straight from the syringe and even wants more. Strange rabbit. :lol:

I thought it must've been a typo !! My Rabbits love metacam too, it's sweet so I think that's why xx

Haha, that's what I guessed it must be :D

Metacam is pleasant tasting to *most* rabbits! At least that's one med that doesn't usually cause a struggle and a falling out :)

Back