Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: 2 weeks since dental - dribbling again!

  1. #1
    Alpha Buck
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    778

    Default 2 weeks since dental - dribbling again!

    Hi all,

    Flo has been having dentals every couple of months as she keeps dribbling and getting spurs on her back teeth.

    However it's only been 2 weeks since her last dental and she's already dribbling again. I don't know what do, should I just get her checked up? She's eating/drinking/ pooing fine.

    So worried about her!

  2. #2
    Mama Doe
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bradford
    Posts
    2,495

    Default

    Bunny teeth grow very quickly. Has she had a x-ray? It may be worth getting a referral to a specialist as they can do different things with the teeth (taking them down further, etc), or there may be another issue eg abscess affecting the jaw / teeth. I would get her checked out again before it gets worse. One of our dental bunnies needed his front teeth trimming every 2 weeks or so, so they can grow that quickly if the natural eating motion doesn't grind them down properly for whatever reason. It's always better to deal with this type of issue while they are eating well, maintaining weight and are in a good condition. Once they start to deteriorate, it makes things more complicated and harder to get on top of.

  3. #3
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    128,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shimmer View Post
    Bunny teeth grow very quickly. Has she had a x-ray? It may be worth getting a referral to a specialist as they can do different things with the teeth (taking them down further, etc), or there may be another issue eg abscess affecting the jaw / teeth. I would get her checked out again before it gets worse. One of our dental bunnies needed his front teeth trimming every 2 weeks or so, so they can grow that quickly if the natural eating motion doesn't grind them down properly for whatever reason. It's always better to deal with this type of issue while they are eating well, maintaining weight and are in a good condition. Once they start to deteriorate, it makes things more complicated and harder to get on top of.
    I agree that a referral to a Specialist might be a good idea if it is an option for you. Xrays, if they have not already been taken, would be very useful in order to assess tooth roots etc. I would definitely get your own Vet to check her mouth ASAP if she is already dribbling again x

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    29,889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FloLo View Post
    Hi all,

    Flo has been having dentals every couple of months as she keeps dribbling and getting spurs on her back teeth.

    However it's only been 2 weeks since her last dental and she's already dribbling again. I don't know what do, should I just get her checked up? She's eating/drinking/ pooing fine.

    So worried about her!

    Oh dear I'm sorry to hear this!

    It's certainly possible that within two weeks she would need a dental again, but I wouldn't wish it on her. GA's that regularly are to be avoided if at all possible - I hope it's not her teeth.

    However, what I would do is seek a second opinion from a very good vet, and perhaps get X-rays done as well. Get the low down on why this is happening and whether it's likely to right itself at all.

    Does she eat any hay or readigrass/fresh grass? Probably not now, but when she's just had her dental?

  5. #5
    Alpha Buck
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    778

    Default

    Thanks all, she's booked in to see the vet this afternoon! She's eating hay etc albeit slowly. I do have some readigrass somewhere maybe she'll prefer to eat that for a bit.

    Will suggest radiographs, would like to know what stage we're at. My vet is very rabbit-savvy so hopefully she'll know what's best! If needed I might consider referral as my vets is only a small practice and the referral hospital we use is the Beaumont Sainsbury Animal Hospital :-)

    Rabbits eh who'd have them!!!

  6. #6
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    128,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FloLo View Post
    Thanks all, she's booked in to see the vet this afternoon! She's eating hay etc albeit slowly. I do have some readigrass somewhere maybe she'll prefer to eat that for a bit.

    Will suggest radiographs, would like to know what stage we're at. My vet is very rabbit-savvy so hopefully she'll know what's best! If needed I might consider referral as my vets is only a small practice and the referral hospital we use is the Beaumont Sainsbury Animal Hospital :-)

    Rabbits eh who'd have them!!!
    A question I have asked myself at times !! Then I look at them and...................

    Hope Flo gets on OK this afternoon xx

  7. #7
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    29,889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FloLo View Post
    Thanks all, she's booked in to see the vet this afternoon! She's eating hay etc albeit slowly. I do have some readigrass somewhere maybe she'll prefer to eat that for a bit.

    Will suggest radiographs, would like to know what stage we're at. My vet is very rabbit-savvy so hopefully she'll know what's best! If needed I might consider referral as my vets is only a small practice and the referral hospital we use is the Beaumont Sainsbury Animal Hospital :-)

    Rabbits eh who'd have them!!!
    Glad you've a great vet

    Someone I know went to the Beaumont recently and was well pleased with it.

    Good luck at the vet's this afternoon

  8. #8
    Alpha Buck
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    778

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    A question I have asked myself at times !! Then I look at them and...................

    Hope Flo gets on OK this afternoon xx
    I know, they're just too adorable!

    Thank you, no spurs/tongue ulcers that the vet can see. Her first suggestion was radiographs, so shes booked in to have them Monday. If Flo needs sedating she said she will also have a good look in her mouth, just in case shes missed something. Also starting meloxicam under the assumption she's dribbling because it's sore. Fingers crossed we find the problem next week!

  9. #9
    Wise Old Thumper Jack's-Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    128,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FloLo View Post
    I know, they're just too adorable!

    Thank you, no spurs/tongue ulcers that the vet can see. Her first suggestion was radiographs, so shes booked in to have them Monday. If Flo needs sedating she said she will also have a good look in her mouth, just in case shes missed something. Also starting meloxicam under the assumption she's dribbling because it's sore. Fingers crossed we find the problem next week!
    Hope all will go well for her on Monday xx

  10. #10
    Wise Old Thumper MightyMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    29,889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FloLo View Post
    I know, they're just too adorable!

    Thank you, no spurs/tongue ulcers that the vet can see. Her first suggestion was radiographs, so shes booked in to have them Monday. If Flo needs sedating she said she will also have a good look in her mouth, just in case shes missed something. Also starting meloxicam under the assumption she's dribbling because it's sore. Fingers crossed we find the problem next week!

    This sounds like a good plan

    Good luck for Monday x

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •