Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rabbits stopped eating pellets

The bag of pellets is only about half full.

I know, it is strange which is why I thought it might be something to do with the hay - they're eating that like it's going out of fashion which is something they don't normally do.

Gone but not forgotten:
    * Bumble
    * Jess

Successfully bonded:
    * Oreo & Geoff

Mama Doe

I agree with the others:
    - get their teeth checked (properly, with an otoscope to see the back ones)
    - try a brand new bag of the same pellets - the open bag may have something wrong / different about it.

As long as they are eating everything else and other hard treats, poo is OK, etc - I would be less worried. Get them weighed and teeth checked just in case, and monitor all input and output. Hay eating is good and the veg is OK, so just keep going. They don't actually need the pellets, but suddenly not eating them indicates that something isn't right somewhere - good on you for spotting it and acting on it quickly.

I've just had a call back from the vet, who has mentioned she has rabbits herself, and she's said not to worry at the moment. As long as they're eating the hay/veg, drinking and toileting as normal then they're fine. She did say if there's any other problems though, or if anything else changes with them to give her a call back.

For now, I'll take her word that my two are alright and it is down to them preferring the new hay and filling their bellies on that but I will carry on keeping an eye on them. I'll give them a check over tonight as well to see if they feel underweight/butt check/ear check/mouth check.

Thank you very much everyone for your replies and advice, I'm very grateful

Gone but not forgotten:
    * Bumble
    * Jess

Successfully bonded:
    * Oreo & Geoff