• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay-and-Straw.co.uk

Limit

Warren Scout
Was about to order a new 10 kg bag from timothyhay.co.uk only to see that the quality is less due to the better stuff running out!

I prefer to pay more for quality so I was wondering if anyone orders from hayandstraw.co.uk and what kind of hay their buns prefer from there? :)

My buns don't like it but I think the Ings hay always goes down well.
I ordered a bag of Timothy & Rye from hay-and-straw and I really didn't like it. Neither did my buns. It was yellowy in colour and none of my 4 rabbits would touch it!

I usually order the Ings hay and that's always gone down well with my buns. I used to get the timothy and rye as well but my buns weren't that bothered about it so I stopped ordering it.

Thank you! Will go for ings, it's only until they have better quality so until June :) Hopefully they won't be fussy :D

Was about to order a new 10 kg bag from timothyhay.co.uk only to see that the quality is less due to the better stuff running out!

I prefer to pay more for quality so I was wondering if anyone orders from hayandstraw.co.uk and what kind of hay their buns prefer from there? :)

How do you know the quality has gone down before you ordered?

How do you know the quality has gone down before you ordered?

There is a note to explain on their website.

I'm wondering what to do as I need to order some more soon. My rabbits have been enjoying the "good quality" timothy and rye from the timothyhay.co.uk. Since changing to this though, my ezcema has flared up really badly and I'm wondering if the hay is the cause. I remember others saying that this hay has caused allergic reactions. So will the 2nd grade cause just as bad a reaction and how much more inferior is it?

You'd think it would be an easy decision about what hay to buy!

Timothyhay.co.uk has had 'lesser quality' hay before and I ordered it anyway. Personally I couldn't tell the difference and it was still very good hay :)

There is a note to explain on their website.

I'm wondering what to do as I need to order some more soon. My rabbits have been enjoying the "good quality" timothy and rye from the timothyhay.co.uk. Since changing to this though, my ezcema has flared up really badly and I'm wondering if the hay is the cause. I remember others saying that this hay has caused allergic reactions. So will the 2nd grade cause just as bad a reaction and how much more inferior is it?

You'd think it would be an easy decision about what hay to buy!

Oh thank you Omi. Just been back to their website and seen that. It wasn't there when I ordered, and I paid a bit more for mine, so hopefully it's the good stuff (same as you sent me, Roxy)

Difficult to know what to do ..... :?

Oh thank you Omi. Just been back to their website and seen that. It wasn't there when I ordered, and I paid a bit more for mine, so hopefully it's the good stuff (same as you sent me, Roxy)

Difficult to know what to do ..... :?

I bit the bullet and ordered from them anyway, Binky will know if I've got different hay so I'm hoping the difference is barely noticeable! :) Fingers crossed it's still good stuff like yours was Roxy :D

I really like the ings hay, it's quite a mixture and there's a lot of green strands which the rabbits like. The strands are very long and quite thin, I wouldn't say it's the softest hay I've felt but it's definitely not stalky so it depends on the rabbits preference

I bit the bullet and ordered from them anyway, Binky will know if I've got different hay so I'm hoping the difference is barely noticeable! :) Fingers crossed it's still good stuff like yours was Roxy :D

Could you ask them to send you a sample first? I know that means waiting, but at least you can assure yourself of what it's like.

I'll be ordering some more this week so we will see! Fingers crossed it will still be nice :)

I think you've said before that your OH has had allergy-type problems with this hay. If so, have you found that individual batches vary? I'm really suffering quite a lot with ezcema at the moment and the change in hay is the only thing I can identify that's different in my environment. I'm loathe to stop buying this hay as the rabbits really love it, but equally I don't understand why or if this is really the cause of my current problems.

Could you ask them to send you a sample first? I know that means waiting, but at least you can assure yourself of what it's like.

Brilliant idea, though as the batch is cheaper I decided to go for it! If it's not all great it'll be used as bedding or if dusty then I'll chuck it up the stables... Will make sure to tell you all how the hay is if that helps :)

I actually decided to give timothyhay.co.uk a whirl and ordered some earlier this week. I must have got the last of the "good" batch as it was full price. Anyhoo, it arrived today and the buns really love it! :thumb:

I actually decided to give timothyhay.co.uk a whirl and ordered some earlier this week. I must have got the last of the "good" batch as it was full price. Anyhoo, it arrived today and the buns really love it! :thumb:

I postponed ordering and as soon as I went to order I saw the sign telling me the better stuff had gone! Felt like a plum :lol:

Yes I think I was on the tail end of the good stuff too. Very lucky, as I had no idea that their other stuff was different.

I have never seen hay that is less dusty than this - it's just brilliant :D

Yes I think I was on the tail end of the good stuff too. Very lucky, as I had no idea that their other stuff was different.

I have never seen hay that is less dusty than this - it's just brilliant :D

I know, it's very lush! Snoopy's actually been preferring it over readigrass this evening. I never thought I'd see that! :shock:

I postponed ordering and as soon as I went to order I saw the sign telling me the better stuff had gone! Felt like a plum :lol:

:lol: It's always annoying when things like that happen. Hopefully this batch won't be too different. I'm sure your buns will leave you in doubt as to their view on the matter :lol:

I think you've said before that your OH has had allergy-type problems with this hay. If so, have you found that individual batches vary? I'm really suffering quite a lot with ezcema at the moment and the change in hay is the only thing I can identify that's different in my environment. I'm loathe to stop buying this hay as the rabbits really love it, but equally I don't understand why or if this is really the cause of my current problems.

I think that the last 2 bags that we got weren't so bad but to be honest he is off hay/litter tray duty. It made him too poorly and it wasn't worth the risk. His whole throat would close up to the point that he couldn't breathe and he would get little white spots all over his hands and arms. He would also be wheezy for a few hours after. If he does do it he wears long sleeve tops, gloves AND a face mask! This is a recent thing though, we've been having this hay for over 2 years now and for the first 20 months it didn't cause him any problems at all!

Back